Yak for Father/Father in law

lahai1dj

Yak for Father/Father in law

Post by lahai1dj »

TKF folks, I'd like to buy a kayak to use on occasion when I want a family member or friend to join me on a fishing expedition. Obviously, I need to get something for the lowest common denominator in physical condition and ability so I am considering stability primarily and also a secondary mode of propulsion (i.e. pedal drive, or electric motor) as a necessity. What are your thoughts on what yaks would make a good choice?

I'm considering the PA14 but I'm sure there must be others out there that will work too. Thanks!
TG05

Re: Yak for Father/Father in law

Post by TG05 »

It sounds like you want something lightweight. The PA is a heavy beast.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

They aren't in great shape or condition? If so, the PA is pretty heavy.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

A Pro Angler is great in the water. Its not fun to deal with on land. Every Pro Angler should come with wheels.
gigem409

Post by gigem409 »

I have been in this situation myself and wanted something reasonable for friends and family that covered the stability and option of alternative propulsion. I personally bought a Nucanoe Frontier and it fit the bill for stability and option for electric or outboard power. I believe it's the only one that you can switch it up for one or two people at anytime and it is amazingly stable. The dealer that sells them used to be in Galveston area and moved up to Spring not sure where you are located but there are quite a few in the state and they are reasonable priced for what you get. They can get heavy when you load 650# on them and they are not as fast as some of the others out there but they are without a doubt comfortable.
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

X 2 on the Nucanoe. another thing not mentioned is how easy it is to change it back to a solo kayak and still keep everything level just by taking one seat out and sliding the other one forward. FYI the dealer that was selling them near Galveston has moved to Spring just North of Houston.
cpane

Post by cpane »

Have you considered a NuCanoe Frontier 12?
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

I haven't even considered the NuCanoe Frontier but I will definitely look into that option. Thanks for the feedback!