small lake or pond fishing? I think I'm in love

truekuntrie

Post by truekuntrie »

About three weeks ago I went to lake Gladewater for my first attempt at kayaking. I lost the keel but still made it the whole shoreline before the spillway. I had a blast but unfortunately, no fishing license. Got one, tried to hit lake Gilmer but too windy without a keel so I hit a 2 acre pond that I've tried to fish from the bank but had no luck. The $60 inflatable kayak kicked butt. Got five keepers. (Bass) I think I've found a new love but have no clue about any of it. Yall help me out. And btw I knew I shoulda tied that keel on.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: small lake or pond fishing? I think I'm in love

Post by texnomad »

The first thing that comes to my mind on small ponds/lakes in Texas is alligators these days. Fifty years ago they were not a trouble any place I went in Texas. Nowadays I find them happily living in all sorts of odd places. Don't quit but please have great situational awareness.
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Get yourself a good comfortable PFD and wear it. Welcome to the addiction.
truekuntrie

Post by truekuntrie »

Thanks, gators have been a concern of mine. Both places I've gone to have supposedly had some in them in the past but i didn't see any slides or sighns so, fish on .
And my pfd situation isn't great, it's a cammo version of the orange ones... no bueno any good suggestions
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

I have an NRS chinook that I like quite a bit. It has handy pockets and a few attachment points for pliers, line cutters, etc. I've also used the stholquist (not sure on the spelling) fishing PFD that was lended too me one day and that was one was nice too. I also have a bass pro A/M inflatable that is nice and lightweight for very hot days. That being said, any high back PFD made for kayaking will work. The fishing ones add specific functionality and it's nice but not needed if you're on a budget.

Also like you eluded to in your post, make sure to get something that's easily seen on and in the water should you turtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk