New member in Spring TX

backroads

New member in Spring TX

Post by backroads »

I am new to kayaking and decided to join this forum. I have not yet purchased a kayak but have in mind what I like to own. I fish fresh and salt but more saltwater lately especially during summer and maybe the colder weather soon. I fish Surfside area mainly. Thanks to this forum and the common interest all of you have in this sport I hope to share my experiences with you soon.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: New member in Spring TX

Post by Drifting Yak »

Welcome aboard Mr. backroads!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Welcome Backroads! Look forward to seeing your yak when you get it and see some catching reports!
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Welcome to the addiction. Now you have to figure out if your gonna spend a little or a lot. The good thing about that is the fish don't care.
backroads

Post by backroads »

Thank you for the welcome. I am going to try out or look at some kayaks on September 10th off Butler rd. in Conroe. As of now, I am interested in the Ocean kayak big game 2. That decision may change after I see others and their specs., can't wait!
YAKBASSER

Post by YAKBASSER »

backroads wrote:Thank you for the welcome. I am going to try out or look at some kayaks on September 10th off Butler rd. in Conroe. As of now, I am interested in the Ocean kayak big game 2. That decision may change after I see others and their specs., can't wait!
That is the ACK demo day...good place to check out whats out there. Nice property as well.
cpane

Post by cpane »

you should check out outback kayaks in spring! awesome guys up there!
yodaddi

Post by yodaddi »

cpane wrote:you should check out outback kayaks in spring! awesome guys up there!
WOW! I didn't know they were in the Spring area. Is this the same Outback store that is/was located in Hitchcock?
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Yes Sir.
OfficerGomez

Another new member in Spring

Post by OfficerGomez »

Just joined the site and trying to decide on a kayak. I'm a big guy 6'3" and 300 lbs. Any thoughts on the make and model to look at?

I'm probably wanting to go back in the flats around Galveston to start.

Any suggestions?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Another new member in Spring

Post by kickingback »

OfficerGomez wrote:Just joined the site and trying to decide on a kayak. I'm a big guy 6'3" and 300 lbs. Any thoughts on the make and model to look at?

Any suggestions?
Hobie has a 650 lb limit and are very stable to stand up and can be propelled easier by your more powerful legs. Expensive but well worth it and you will not regret your purchase if you are serious about kayaking and fishing at the same time. Hands free movement means you can fish while on the move. Hard to do in a standard paddle kayak but can be done.
Look for used if you can't spring for a new one. Lots of great deals on these and other forums. Start a thread of your own asking everyone if they have one for sale.
If you can make it to an ACK demo days then GO! try out the yaks they have and make the best decision that way.
OfficerGomez

Post by OfficerGomez »

Thanks kickingback!

When/where are the ACK demo days?
akmike

Re: Another new member in Spring

Post by akmike »

OfficerGomez wrote:Just joined the site and trying to decide on a kayak. I'm a big guy 6'3" and 300 lbs. Any thoughts on the make and model to look at?

Any suggestions?
I'm 6'7 and probably 350, like others said the Hobie seems like the best option to me I'm also making plans to get a kayak sometime