Lets talk malibu!

Mossyoak20

Lets talk malibu!

Post by Mossyoak20 »

Looking for a 2nd yak. Leaning towards a malibu x-factor or stealth. Pros or cons to either? Did the leak issues ever get fixed? Any year models better than others? I'll be fishing big lakes and BTB
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Lets talk malibu!

Post by mwrose777 »

I had a 2010/2011 Stealth 14, absolutely loved it. Zero issues, no leaks or cracking, only down side was it was heavy. Hard to laod/unload by myself. Could have managed with a kayak cart though.
Mossyoak20

Post by Mossyoak20 »

mwrose777 wrote:I had a 2010/2011 Stealth 14, absolutely loved it. Zero issues, no leaks or cracking, only down side was it was heavy. Hard to laod/unload by myself. Could have managed with a kayak cart though.
What do you have now?
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Mossyoak20 wrote:
mwrose777 wrote:I had a 2010/2011 Stealth 14, absolutely loved it. Zero issues, no leaks or cracking, only down side was it was heavy. Hard to laod/unload by myself. Could have managed with a kayak cart though.
What do you have now?
WS Commander 140. Also a great boat. But if I was going out in big water, there is no other boat that I would rather have than the Stealth. I just mostly fish shallow, protected waters. Will be buying a big tuna after we get married for the fiance and I, so I guess I could take that solo BTB or something. I will admit, the horror stories with malibu that pop up would have me concerned, but I absolutely loved the Stealth 14.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I have a 2012 Malibu Extreme and a 2012 Mini X (my 8 year olds yak) ... The Mini X tracking isn't the greatest nor is it the fastest thing on the water by any stretch of the imagination but its stability is top notch both initial and secondary.

My only complaint about the Extreme is its size and difficulty of loading / unloading alone being 15'9" and ~68lbs. If I take it out , I trailer the thing. Once on the water its the best thing since sliced bread. Im able to stand in it and use a 6' cast net with ease (no outriggers). Considering my size , 6'3 235ish ... thats pretty good stability.

Neither has leak issues in the hull or scuppers.

If I were to replace my Extreme , it would either be with the Stealth 14 or a Ride 135 .... There is no replacement for the Mini-X in my opinion.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I paddled an X-Factor for 5 years, without any issues. Others have had terrible issues and warranty services. My X still hangs in my garage, ready to go..................I just spend most of my time in my Hobie Pro Angler.

For BTB or for big guys the Malibu X-Factor, Extreme or Mini-X can't be beat............as long as there are no issued. Back when there were issues with cracking in the seat area, I wedged closed cell foam on the inside of my X to support the area. I cleaned my X after every trip both inside and out. If you take care of your stuff, it takes care of you.
Mossyoak20

Post by Mossyoak20 »

What's the difference between the X factor and the stealth 14
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Mossyoak20 wrote:What's the difference between the X factor and the stealth 14
Deck layout. Hull is the same. Really just personal preference. I liked the Stealth 14 over the x-factor but both are great boats
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

The Stealth Series (9,12,14) has a built in live bait well with a storage hatch on either side of it - just in front of the seat.

The X Factor has two rectangular hatches in the center.

Other than that , they are nearly identical. Both 14'4" x 33"
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Ramjet wrote:

The Stealth Series (9,12,14) has a built in live bait well with a storage hatch on either side of it - just in front of the seat.

The X Factor has two rectangular hatches in the center.

Other than that , they are nearly identical. Both 14'4" x 33"
One of the x-factor hatches can also be used as a livewell. The forward one I believe.