Need advice..10' or 12' Perception Pescador..my first kayak.

bonfirekills

Need advice..10' or 12' Perception Pescador..my first kayak.

Post by bonfirekills »

Ok..need some input here. I am finally purchasing a couple of fishing Kayaks and have spent countless hours narrowing down to the Perception Pescador (Sport) 12' or 10' based on I absolutely agree that the 12' foot is the better kayak and will be faster and straighter, however my concern is portability and storage, therefore I am leaning towards the 10'. I know I will struggle to get the 12' on and off a rack on top of an suv by myself..especially if the wind is blowing...and I dont want to scratch up the paint on the vehicle. I think I am willing to sacrifice the speed and tracking ability of the 12' in order to get a yak that I can easily load by myself and hang on the garage wall for storage. Basically..the 12' looks huge in the store and difficult to manage on dry land.

I am 6' and 190 lbs. I want to fish nearshore in the bays and small lakes and ponds. I have no desire to paddle all day or get any further than a mile max away from a launch point. I take a minimalist aproach to fishing..two rods, some hooks and some soft plastics or a few flies and I am set, so I dont need tons of storage or additional weight capacity. ( the 12' is rated at 350lbs and the 10' is rated at 325lbs).

So you experienced guys...how much performance am I going to give up by buying a 10' over the 12'? Is the 12' easier to manage on dry land that it appears?

Any input would be welcome.
Halffast

Re: Need advice..10' or 12' Perception Pescador..my first kayak.

Post by Halffast »

First, welcome to TKF.

Next, this is just my opinion and it's worth exactly the amount you paid for it.

I think you'll be sorry if you don't get the 12. It only weighs 8 pounds more than the 10. I put a 15 1/2 foot boat on top of my Jeep by myself all the time. A strategicly placed towel will prevent scratches on your vehicle. We have an older Tarpon 100 (same as the Pescador 10) and while it's a great yak, it doesn't track nearly as well as the longer yaks. I paddled a new Tarpon 120 the other day, and I was suprised at how well it tracked, how stable it was, and how roomy it seemed. I hear what you're saying about not getting too far away from the launch, but even a mile is a long paddle when you have to paddle only on one side because the wind keeps turning you. Also, I found that what I expected to do with my first yak and what I am really doing is two different things.

I also think that you will get more of your money back selling used 12's than you will 10's, if you decide to upgrade later. Again, just my opinion.

I don't know where you live, but TG Canoe & Kayak carries the Pescador 10's and 12's for the same price as Academy. They will be glad to let you paddle both yaks. I would also rather buy from a reputable yak shop as well, where you will get service after the sale. Whatever you decide, the best of luck to you.
bonfirekills

Post by bonfirekills »

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to purchase one 12' and one 10' Perception Pescador. If The 12' is too difficult to handle by myself, I will just take the 10' when going out solo...my plan on buying 2 is so I don't have to go solo, but sometimes it is nice to get out by yourself and clear your mind with a day of fishing. I live in the Dallas area and would prefer to buy from a Kayak shop instead of Mass Merchant, but think my options are limited here.
jester1542

Post by jester1542 »

bonfirekills wrote:Thanks for the advice. I have decided to purchase one 12' and one 10' Perception Pescador. If The 12' is too difficult to handle by myself, I will just take the 10' when going out solo...my plan on buying 2 is so I don't have to go solo, but sometimes it is nice to get out by yourself and clear your mind with a day of fishing. I live in the Dallas area and would prefer to buy from a Kayak shop instead of Mass Merchant, but think my options are limited here.
Did you look at Mountain Sports in Arlington? Seem like good people and they have a good selection. Also they have a demo days coming up on 12 May so you may want to hold off until you can demo some. For $5 you can demo any boat at the lake.
TMHINVA

Post by TMHINVA »

So if you had to do it all over again 10' or 12'?

My buddy says 12' is too long and will be harder to fish with in tight quarters but I still leaning that way.

Thanks...