Can someone give me some info on this old Ocean Kayak

jestanislaw

Can someone give me some info on this old Ocean Kayak

Post by jestanislaw »

SANY1762.JPG
:D
SANY1762.JPG
SANY1762.JPG
I recently bought this used, and from what I understand it's and old model "dive kayak" by Ocean brand designed by Tim Niemier. I'm not sure how old it is or the pros and cons. I'm going to use it for fishing so will this model be good for that application? Any advice or suggestions?
Attachments
SANY1761.JPG
TG Canoes and Kayaks

Re: Can someone give me some info on this old Ocean Kayak

Post by TG Canoes and Kayaks »

It's a mid 90's Ocean Kayak Scrambler or Scrambler XT (can't quite tell definitively without measurements). The Dive Kayak decal was a factory special order option that made your kayak double as a safety feature. While you were diving underwater, the Scrambler would act as a giant sign letting people know that you were diving in the area. They also made a Rescue version for lifeguards. There's no difference between the dive, rescue, or standard version other than the decal on the side.

All in all, it's a solid boat, great for moving water (think smaller rivers), although it won't have any speed or efficiency on flat water. You might want to upgrade that seat back because it won't offer much support and no butt padding. It's also fantastic in the surf, seeing as it was designed on the west coast to get you out past the breakers to get to the reef for diving, then let you surf back to the beach when you're done.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Can someone give me some info on this old Ocean Kayak

Post by OrangeQuest »

We have an OK Caper that looks to be the same hull shape that the female guides like to use for it's light weight and speed compared to what customers use (Malibu Twos)

I would say X2 on the seat up grade and get a better paddle and you have a great kayak for general purpose use.