Christmas Bay Fishing Spots/Preferred Baits

BirdFoot17

Christmas Bay Fishing Spots/Preferred Baits

Post by BirdFoot17 »

I've been outfitting my kayak for the past few weeks with no chance to put it on the water just yet. Today my wife told me that Easter weekend is open if I wanted to go so I'm jumping on the opportunity to pop the cherry on my new yak. I'm really familiar with kayaking and really familiar with bass fishing however I am not so inclined in the salt water of the gulf coast. Just glancing at a map I found that i could drive from Houston and within an hour I could be on some pretty good fishing spots. A friend of mine suggested Christmas Bay and the surrounding area for some good trout and red fishing. So i've been doing a lot of research and stocking up however I'd like to get some input on good areas to fish and what the good bite is. So if anyone out there is so courteous to respond it would be much appreciated.

Pertinent information:
I'm stocked up with Gulp shrimp, DOA shrimp, and bass assassin shad paddletails (varying colors for all). Also picked out a few spoons here and there. I prefer soft plastics because of my bass fishing background but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
sundevil96

Re: Christmas Bay Fishing Spots/Preferred Baits

Post by sundevil96 »

I don't fish X-mas very often, but the few times I have, I've done ok at where the marsh drains into Churchill Bayou. Watch the reports and see where they're biting. X-mas bay is a popular place, there are usually frequent reports from there.

As to baits, I've found the saltwater assassin paddletails in pumpkinseed/chartreuse or morning glory/chartreuse are hard to beat.
BirdFoot17

Post by BirdFoot17 »

Thanks for the info. The wife is set on eating seafood as opposed to LMB for dinner so I'm turning my attention to the coast.

What spots do you prefer?
CroakerChoker

Post by CroakerChoker »

Based on this thread, I tried Churchill bayou yesterday. Caught a nice flounder in about 6" water on dead shrimp near the entry to the bayou. Was a lot of bait activity in the first marsh area, but didn't manage to catch whatever was chasing up all the shad. Was there just after low tide and not a lot of water in the bay if you got out of the boat channel. Great area to explore.
goneYAKcrazy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: cypress, tx / coles crossing 2011 Hobie Pro Angler, fully customized by gYc Boatwerkz

Post by goneYAKcrazy »

Launch at Ernies, head into Churchill(to the right of Ernies) fish all the cuts, guts, and marsh drains,,,,,get there at high tide and get set up for when the tide is going out.....thats when the fish are exiting stage left as well.....good luck to you
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I was there (Churchill) on Friday. There were a bunch of Reds along the banks and I saw what I think was three Ladyfish (24") in the marsh. I struck out though. Plastic only and it seems that I didn't have their flavor of choice.