First kayak trip - questions for next trip

Sailnjunky

First kayak trip - questions for next trip

Post by Sailnjunky »

This weekend, my brother in law and I rented kayaks from Southwest Paddlesports in The Woodlands. Great people there. I got a Heritage Redfish 10 footer, and he got a 12 foot Cobra Navigator. We paddled and fished Lake Conroe, and I am happy to report I completed my first goal of actually catching a fish from a kayak. Actually, I not only caught a fish, but completely wore out the catfish, filled my bucket, and started putting them in the cockpit with me!

I wanted to comment on some likes and dislikes, so that hopefully y'all could recommend the next model kayak for me to rent. My goal is to rent 4 or 5 to figure out what I'm looking for in a kayak before I buy one. So here goes...

First, I noticed that the one I was in was a little on the "tippy" side. Not that it was unstable or gave me problems, but it wasn't quite as calm side to side. I absolutely loved the big open cockpit. My brother in law's had a compartment between his knees, and with all the reaching forward and re-rigging of my line that I had to do, having everything just right there in front of me was nice. The forward fishing pole holder wasn't that convenient. I mainly used the two rear facing ones. I really liked being able to maneuver by just paddling with my hand and not having to use the paddle. - not sure if this is characteristic to smaller boats or if all can do this. Back rest is a MUST HAVE! I am 5'8" and 200lbs, the suppers were right at water level and didn't do much as far as draining the cockpit. Basically sat in 1/2" water the entire time.

I wouldn't have any problems using that boat again, but since there are so many different yaks with different strengths and weaknesses, I figure I should try a few more before buying. I guess for the next one is try, I was thinking it should be a big one, like 14ft, so I can get a feel for how a longer boat handles and whether I like it better. I would definitely like the next one I try to be more stable side to side.

So, what words of wisdom do you have for me, and what should the next one I try be?

Thanks!
Fargo

Re: First kayak trip - questions for next trip

Post by Fargo »

Hey Junky, welcome to TKF!
And congratulations on the maiden voyage. Sounds like you have the hard part (fishing) figured out.
Did you try your BIL's Cobra? That would have given you a second data point.
10ft is a little small for the average kayak design paddled by the average guy. The wet ride (sitting in water in the yak) is an indicator that you might need a bigger boat. They are great for maneuvering especially in tight spaces not to mention transporting. But most fishermen end up with a boat 12-14ft. There is a lot of diversity in that size of boat, most people can find a great fit.

Kayaks and primary and secondary stability. There are some discussions on this board that explain it better than me but basically it means how "tippy" the boat is when you are getting in it (primary) and how tippy if feels once you seated in/on it (secondary). You can't have it all. There are always trade offs in design, often manufactures tend to make the same kind of trade offs for most of their boats, this gives them their "feel" that their regular customers prefer.

Good call on renting several boats to get a feel of what you like, try to vary the manufacturer as well as the size. Another thing to consider: keep your eye out on this board for open invites to meet up. Most guys on this board would be glad to tell you about their choice and let you take it for a spin. It could really shorten the learning curve.

Good luck and keep us posted

Fargo
MethodMachine

Re: First kayak trip - questions for next trip

Post by MethodMachine »

I am also new to this obsession, but I am finding out that half the fun is rigging the kayak with rod holders, hatches, and other equipment; therefore, I would not pay too much attention to the location of the stock rod holders and such. Having said that, in order to mount your own rod holders you will need to examine the yak for available flat surfaces that can be mounted to.