Paddles???

fishgutz

Paddles???

Post by fishgutz »

Is it really worth buying a 300+ dollar paddle? I see them around and am wondering if they are worth the price. I have a BB Whisper that works fine and a Force (60 bucks) as a back up. Just seems kind of crazy money to spend for a paddle
Fargo

Re: Paddles???

Post by Fargo »

Fishgutz is this a trick question?
There is only one true answer - only you can say if it is worth it for you to buy a $300 paddle.

Is it worth it to buy Craftsmen screwdrivers or will Harbor Freight do? Is a Ruth Chris steak that much better than a Saltgrass steak?

You will find plenty of people on this board that are happy with both ends of the spectrum. Perhaps the better question is: "If you stepped up to a $300 did you think it was money well spent?"

Personally I went from a Carlisle Day Tripper to a $128 Aqua Bound carbon fiber paddle some time back and think the difference was more than worth the cost. I don't think I was ready to appreciate the difference between the $128 paddle and the $300 paddle but I could see that changing some day.

Good Luck,
Fargo
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

If you are just paddling a few miles when you are in your kayak then no, the difference in the weight on the $$$ is not worth it. If you are paddling more than 8 miles when you are in your kayak then yes, you will notice a big difference at the end of the day. It would be the same as do you feather your blades or keep them straight? If you do not paddle with a feathered blade then you do not need to spend that kind of money yet.
fishgutz

Post by fishgutz »

OrangeQuest wrote:If you are just paddling a few miles when you are in your kayak then no, the difference in the weight on the $$$ is not worth it. If you are paddling more than 8 miles when you are in your kayak then yes, you will notice a big difference at the end of the day. It would be the same as do you feather your blades or keep them straight? If you do not paddle with a feathered blade then you do not need to spend that kind of money yet.
I have tried to feather with not much luck...... I guess I need some instruction on that but have no idea what the benefits will be.......Is it easier? (when done right) 8)
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Go check out how lite nsome of the higher end paddles are and you will be amazed! You dont have to spend $300 though.
wilche0434

Post by wilche0434 »

Fargo wrote:Fishgutz is this a trick question?
Is it worth it to buy Craftsmen screwdrivers or will Harbor Freight do? Is a Ruth Chris steak that much better than a Saltgrass steak
I use Craftsman screwdrivers all day everyday but if I have the choice of Ruth Chris over saltgrass, it's going to be Ruth Chris all the way. lol didn't mean to hijack but just thought I would throw that out there.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

fishgutz wrote:I have tried to feather with not much luck...... I guess I need some instruction on that but have no idea what the benefits will be.......Is it easier? (when done right) 8)
Feathering (cocking of the blades at about a 60* angle from each other) works with the natural roll of your shoulders when paddling, having the blades cocked like that cuts down on the wind resistance encountered while paddling.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

fishgutz wrote:
OrangeQuest wrote:If you are just paddling a few miles when you are in your kayak then no, the difference in the weight on the $$$ is not worth it. If you are paddling more than 8 miles when you are in your kayak then yes, you will notice a big difference at the end of the day. It would be the same as do you feather your blades or keep them straight? If you do not paddle with a feathered blade then you do not need to spend that kind of money yet.
I have tried to feather with not much luck...... I guess I need some instruction on that but have no idea what the benefits will be.......Is it easier? (when done right) 8)
Feathering your blade lets the blade that is in the air slice the air and no twist of the wrist is needed when paddling. It takes a little to get accustom to a feathered blade but makes a BIG difference in a strong head wind or paddling all day. After the weirdness wears off and you stop twisting the blade, the blade slicing through the water and twisting everywhere, you will not paddle the same again. Add a super lite weight blade that is feathered and after paddling a few hours you will be surprised how much more energy you still have at the end of a trip.