$499 for Aqua Lung fish kayak includes rudder at Dicks

pescosolo

Re: $499 for Aqua Lung fish kayak includes rudder at Dicks

Post by pescosolo »

FWIW... I called Dick's to see if they had received any more of the Aqua Lung kayaks. The person told me that I should reconsider buying this kayak. Their store has had several returned due to an "unplugged hole"... I'm not sure what or where. He said some customers have had their kayaks completely sink because the internal hull fills up with water. He also said they received some kind of a kit from the manufacturer that would fix the problem, and any new kayaks they will be receiving will come with this "kit" to prevent sinking. Any one else hear about this?
fishin13rocks

Post by fishin13rocks »

Wow. Makes me glad I bought a WS tarpon 120.
AnglerWannabe

Post by AnglerWannabe »

I bought 1 and a 220cm paddle for under $300!!! The yak cost me a mere $250, since it was considered " used ". Some guy bought it and returned it because of the " leak "...haha! I fixed the leak with some silicone caulk which cost me $3.25. Both were brand new! I bought them DSG in Williamsburg , VA. I go out in the Chesapeake Bay quite often and am so pleased with the comfort level that I have when paddling.......since I'm a newbie to the sport....only 1 month. I posted a topic about it in the Messages section. Have fun with the yak and go buy 1 of these!!!

AnglerWannabe
ayyguy

Post by ayyguy »

Here are the kayaks at the west palm beach Dicks. You got a great deal at $499!
IMAGE_528.jpg
IMAGE_529.jpg
ayyguy

Post by ayyguy »

But they had the old style prowler angler for $499
IMAGE_526.jpg
IMAGE_527.jpg
bink1148

Post by bink1148 »

Have bought is however it leaks a little...not enough to sink....where was the leak coming from?
photo01

Post by photo01 »

Right now, Jan 30th, at Dick's Sporting goods near me is an Aqua Lung
Sport Fish and Dive kayak at a really good discount price of $399.97.
They have two on the floor.

It has Foot controlled rudder, two rod holders, flat cockpit (stand up OK),
plenty of hatch and storage space, and looks perfect for fishing.

These ones at Dick's Sporting Goods are the updated models. I went in
and checked. These do not need the "kit".

These kayaks are low to the water and seem very comfortable. The foot
controlled rudder will give the fishing person some extra control while fishing.
That is a very good idea. I wish I had that ability this last week while fishing
from the Malibu 2. The wind was pretty strong and that would have helped
a lot in controlling my drift while casting.

David
teester14

Post by teester14 »

These kayaks are in stock in Pflugerville, TX Dick's for 499.97. They have 3 left and said that they are a clearance price and may or may not recieve more of these units. They have the rudder but are not issuing rain checks once they are out due to the product being clearance. They plan to carry the perception without the rudder continually they said.
rivercat

Post by rivercat »

hdcowboy wrote:Heres the pic of it blown up a little........

Take away the rudder and the center hatch and this is my Meriwether, down to the color.
Bayskiff

Post by Bayskiff »

Went to Dicks in Killeen today, they have one in stock, Would have bought one if I could have got someone to help me, no one around after about 30 min I left.

I was a little tick off so got on my I-phone and called and ask to talk to the manager he said the were in meeting. :roll:
wmbran

Post by wmbran »

Can anyone provide any information about the Leak. Where and how it was corrected. From what I can tell about this Kayak it was manufactured by Riot Kayak for Dick's Sporting goods, I contacted Riot and they are no longer in productions. My local Dick's have serveral left and I am trying to talk them down on the price of the display model. They told me these originally sold for 1000.00, I cannot find out any information on whether it is a true statement. Any information would be great.

thank you
aldavis11

Post by aldavis11 »

For (Sunday) they lowered the price to $399.00 for the Aqualung with Rudder. I bought the last one they had in stock in Pflugerville, TX. Someone before me bought two. I has to buy a paddle but the paddles were also 50% off. Good deals.
txcowboy623

Post by txcowboy623 »

does anyone own one of the aqualungs cause dick's has them this weekend for $399 and i am really considering buying one for my first kayak if someone could let me know if it is a quality yak i would greatly appreciate it
photo01

Post by photo01 »

Dick's here in West Palm Beach, Florida, is having a big sale this Saturday and already has a neat little (ten foot) very stable Spirit Kayak on sale for only $179.98. The Aqua Lung Fish Kayak is also on sale, and I saw it today, but forgot the price.
flaflyfish

Post by flaflyfish »

I just bought an Aqua Lung yak with rudder. I fish and scuba, so it seemed to be the better deel. The other being the caster; both on sale $499 at Dicks. I figured I could get the load wieght from the internet, as nobody at the store knew much about the aqualung. Now I am having second thoughts as I cannot find information; and now I see this blog.....very concerned.
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

I just bought one yesterday. Was driving through the parking lot and Dicks was having a side walk sale. Stopped to take a look at what all they had and there were a few Aqua Lungs. Looked it over and it had some nice features so decided to buy it. Paid $399 for it. Brought it home installed the rudder (very simple) used my Crack of Dawn seat and good paddle and headed to the lake.
Put it in the water with the hatches off to watch for any immediate leaks and saw none. Started paddling in the lee of the rip rap where I put in and it handled well. Very stable. Continued to check through the 4" hatch for water and there was none. Feeling pretty sure by this point there were no leaks I went off paddling to bigger water.
Once I got out into the wind I found that you have to use the rudder on this if there is any wind at all. I was out in a steady 10 with gusts to 15. As soon as the wind hits this it cocks. The rudder did eliminate the problem. I headed out into the chop and it handled fine. Pointed it into some jet flea wakes and managed to take some water over the top. Still no leaks. Sitting side saddle and she was a solid as a rock.
In short I'm glad I purchased it and am happy to add it to my fleet. It comes with the rudder, a POS seat (to be expected) and scupper plugs (2) that are bungeed to the yak so you can't lose them. The tank well holds a 5 gallon bucket and will except a crate. Cons are the rudder has to be deployed to use the rear carry handle. There are no side handles, just a couple of depressions. I'll head to the yak shop this weekend and fix those problems.
In short for the price you can't really beat it. It's a decent performing yak and will make an excellent yak especially for a newbi who might feel nervous at first or in my case use as a loaner when needed. I'm 215 and stayed dry in the seat.
jjfox09

Post by jjfox09 »

I completely agree with Roger S. I picked up the Aqua Lung on Saturday for 399. I took it out yesterday for some fishing.

I am new to kayaks but this kayak felt very stable, not tippy at all. It carried all my gear (fishing bag and small ice chest) and had plenty of room for more. The front hatch has alot of room for gear as well. I had water sitting on top of the center hatch and none of it leaked inside. I agree with Roger, the seat is not the greatest. Mine came with a foam pad with adhesive on the back to put under the seat but that still didnt help, my butt was sore after 3 hours of fishing. The back of the seat is great. It is a high back seat so it doesnt make my back sore at all, just my butt lol. There is no place to add a flat mount rod holder so I found a 2 pack with side mounts at Academy for 15 bux that I will add to the side of the center console/cup holder. Like Roger said it does need side carry handles. I will also be adding a bungee over the center hatch to hold my paddle. All in all I am extremely happy with this kayak.
Blackie_

Post by Blackie_ »

Sad News

Not sure if this effects all stores but the Dicks stores here in Austin no longer carry the Aqua Lung. Lucky I purchased one a couple months ago and I love it.
trailman

Post by trailman »

Dick's in Cedar Hill Tx. has the aqualung for $399.00 in store. It may be their last one. I did'nt ask. I thought the kayak looked too heavy. Maybe that was why it was discounted. After reading the comments.....maybe I should have bought it. It came with a rudder.
Matt_TRD

Post by Matt_TRD »

I bought one from the New Braunfels store for $399, and ended up taking it back. It leaked badly at the large hatch right in front of the seat. It was warped so bad the gasket wouldn't seal. Be sure to check closely if you decide to get one.
fisher11man

Post by fisher11man »

uhh...is it just me or does it look exactly like the SOT from meriwether paddle sports... look it up
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

I just bought an Aqua-Lung from Dick's here in the Dallas area. It was their last one, and had a dent in the side (maybe 2" like a crease). I had the mgr. do some research on it and found out the following: Aqua-Lung is apparently no longer made, but it is distributed by Kayak Distribution out of Canada. Further research after I got home revealed that Aqua Lung was made by Voodoo Technologies and/or Riot Kayaks. Riot still has a current website, so, who knows? Besides the small dent everything else seemed to be fitting and intact. Their original "sale" price was $699 (retail $999). Since it was the last one and slightly damaged it was $349. I offered them $299 and they took the deal. I also used a $20 off coupon I just got in the mail today, so my net cost was $279 plus tax. I figured if it doesn't work out, I can sell it for 300 bucks or so after a while. It is almost the same exact yak as the Perception Sport that they sell for $599. Comes complete with rudder, warranty card, instruction manual, etc.. Hopefully I can find parts.
Last edited by ETex2 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

Good news. I e-mailed Riot Kayaks in Canada, and they told me that parts for Aqua Lunk Kayaks are available through them. A google search should find them, but if anyone needs more info, feel free to send me a PM.
Suboc

Post by Suboc »

I just bought one of these kayaks for $350 new at dicks. Its my first SOT fishing kayak and it seems to paddle pretty well.
Last edited by Suboc on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boarhuntertx

Post by boarhuntertx »

rivercat wrote:
hdcowboy wrote:Heres the pic of it blown up a little........

Take away the rudder and the center hatch and this is my Meriwether, down to the color.
I was thinking the same thing. My brother has a meriweather and it looks just like it.