$499 for Aqua Lung fish kayak includes rudder at Dicks

ETex2

Re: $499 for Aqua Lung fish kayak includes rudder at Dicks

Post by ETex2 »

You can't beat it for the price. Pretty stable, although it seems pretty tippy at times; I'm still getting used to a SOT vs. SIS which I am more accustomed to. The only real problem I'm having is the seat, which is uncomfortable (back hurts where the molded part of the yak hits me), and my legs are too long to use with the rudder control in place. I've thought about removing the rudder controls since I really haven't used it much, and I definitely need a new seat of some kind. I'm 6'3" and 240. Thinking about getting a heavy duty SIS as my 2nd yak for non-fishing excursions on rivers.

My son, who is 6'6" and 300 lbs., still refuses to use it. He had a bad experience with a rental a couple of years ago, and unless it's at least a 400 lb. limit yak (SIS), he's not likely to ever get in or on one again.
joe d

Post by joe d »

I bought this kayak whenever Dick's had them on sale for $399 and put it in the water a couple of time and had no problems. It has been a year or so since I last used it, but the other day I took it out the the local river and within just a few minutes it was nearly full of water. Luckily I got to the bank and got the water out. Turns out the hatch that is right in front of the seat has an o-ring that is supposed to seal and it rotted away in a few spots, and I could not find a replacement for it so I used a little silicone gasket maker arount the hatch lid and now it works like a champ. Other than that this kayak is great. The rudder is a big plus when it comes to floating along the river bank with the current, keeps your hands free for all the fishing. With the addition of more padeyes to strap everything down and a milkcrate in the back I am ready to hit the water. I have also installed an anchor trolly system on it but have yet to try it out yet. The only thing I can't figure out is where to mount a rod holder in front of the seat. If anyone has any ideas I would love to know how I can make one work.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

You will pay out the nose on shipping. Kayaks are shipped freight and it is not free.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I didn't the Aqua lung yak on their current adv... but..it does say that any item of $99.00 will be shipped free. Also, there seems to be a number of applicable coupons at this site.
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/dickssportinggoods.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Exclusions for large and heavy items. I fought that one with them awhile back. Bought it somewhere else.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Ah haaa....thanks for the heads up. R
RedRaider04

Post by RedRaider04 »

Original post date.. .5/17/2009 ... lol
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

RedRaider04 wrote:Original post date.. .5/17/2009 ... lol
Time Warp
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Don't be mad....Joe D's been tinkering with the Tardis again. :lol:

FM
joe d

Post by joe d »

fishinmachine wrote:Don't be mad....Joe D's been tinkering with the Tardis again. :lol:

FM

Ok I'm confused. What did I do now?
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

You haven't done anything at all, Joe. Red Raider commented that the original post date of this thread was three years ago. It's possible these kayaks are no longer available new. My comment was a reference to the time, as well. The Tardis is a time machine from the popular and long-running BBC television series, Dr. Who.

I looked at the Aqua Lung's at Dick's and thought that the package looked pretty attractive and well designed. That was right at the time I was getting into kayakfishing and I looked at a lot of yaks and paddled a bunch, too. Would like to paddle an Aqua Lung sometime. If you were able to purchase one for $399 and it floats and fishes well, then I'd say you got quite a bargain!

Is there a small hatch on the back of the console, just in front of the large round deck hatch(looking at the photo posted earlier in this thread)? If so, is it useful? That's the only place I can see that would be a good spot for a rod holder. You could mount one on the large round deck hatch, but it might be too close to the seat for comfort and you'd probably need an extension so the rod handle butt would clear the deck. One other option that might work is to mount a rod holder on the side of the console near the cup holder. Scotty rod holder bases have holes for mounting on horizontal or vertical surfaces.

FM
joe d

Post by joe d »

Ok. It is a good Kayak now that i have the water leak fixed. I havent found much use for the small hatch in front of the seat so that may be my best option for a rod holder, I dont think mounting on the side of the console would work since I am always moving my legs and feet working the rudder. Thanks for informing me that the Scotty Rod holder will work in the vertical mount, that may just be the ticket.
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

If you mount the rod holder, Joe, please shoot a photo or two and post them...might help someone else in rigging an Aqua Lung yak. Good luck!

FM