Rough water fishing kayaks

CoolfinIE

Rough water fishing kayaks

Post by CoolfinIE »

I'm making the step from small boats to kayaks for fitness reasons next couple of weeks. I'm 5' 10 185lbs and in good condition.
It's flyfishing so drift fishing without having to look over my shoulder at oncoming waves would be nice.

The places I'll be fishing are large lakes 3 to 4 miles long which are exposed and windswept. So a choppy wave and a force 5 will be not unusual, and I'd rather not have to cut and run on those days, just find an area which is more comfortable. Those are the days when the fish feed best around here.
I assume it's very like windy days in ocean bays as regarding conditions, but the waves are definitely closer together.

Who is fishing in rougher than average conditions, and which kayaks have proved themselves for this?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Rough water fishing kayaks

Post by Mythman »

Most fishing in the rougher waves are people who fish offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. However, IMHO, big waves in the bays and freshwater can be more detrimental to kayak fishermen, as their lure/bait placement is far more critical and therefore kayak positioning is more critical, also.

It has been my observation that the more stable kayaks are most times the slower and larger to paddle and manage. However, I have read (not personally experienced) that kayaks that have peddles that are propelled via leg action are better to control the positioning in windy conditions, than those that require both hands. Perhaps some of the Hobie fishermen will chime in on this one.
CoolfinIE

Post by CoolfinIE »

True... pedal positioning of the kayak would free the hands for the actual fishing, where because of the wind the paddle otherwise would need to be held for a greater part of the time.

It's not something that would matter so much while fishing by trolling with the rods in rests, or bait fishing at anchor.
But I'd expect fly fishing while in a drift broadside on would probably require tuning position.

I had considered using a drogue for this with conventional SOTs, but hadn't considered the Ultimate or Mirage until now.
Fishn4Fun

Post by Fishn4Fun »

I have a Hobie Revolution and it is very stable and handles rough water great. It is also alot easier to get somewhere with the peddles when the wind is blowing hard than it is paddling. There are a couple of Hobie's wider than the Revolution therefore even more stable but you have to sacrifice speed and also much harder to peddle the bigger/wider yak in windy conditions.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

You may also want to look into the Native Ultimate, they are super stable even in big chop. They don't have scupper holes but I have rarely gotten any water in the yak on lakes, now the surf is a different story all together. I have spent a ton of time in the Native yaks and I think they a sweet rides. I have used the Hobies since I sell them and just feel that the ability to go in reverse without switching the Mirage Drive around. Demo a few models and see what will work best for you.

Chris
SWPS
281-292-5600