Got the bug

rtwilliams

Got the bug

Post by rtwilliams »

Let me introduce myself. I'm Tyler. I am a mechanical engineering student at Texas A&M. I am 22 yrs old. I live in College Station but I'm from Big Spring (west Texas)

I've got a good list of hobbies: hot rodding, .22 target pistols, classical guitar, and of course like any true Texan... hunting and fishing. I have a (built) 65 mustang that is my #1, but she is very expensive to play with and to maintain. I am in need of something to do around here (besides school) that wont cost alot every day.

I think kayak fishing is about perfect for me. I know the start up cost is nothing to sneeze at, but it's alot less than the 15K+ that has gone into the mustang. And once you have the gear it shouldn't cost anything to fish. The idea of fishing out of a kayak makes me giddy. Like I said, I am from west Texas where the people are sparse and the land is open so I need to get away from the people here sometimes. Of course I've seen pictures of the fish you guys are catching and I've seen videos on YouTube, oh the anticipation!

Anywho, I'm looking to get my first kayak. Gonna get a quality boat because I want to get serious with this, even if it takes longer to raise the cash. Probly looking for a 10-14 footer so it will fit in my apartment. I really like the looks of the Wilderness Systems boats. No pelicans here.

I would like to hear if you gus have any boat suggestions and expected price ranges for a good used one.

Pictures may not be the best.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Re: Got the bug

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

Check out the Native Watercraft line up, they have some of the best yaks on the market for the money and you won't be disappointed. I have a huge selection of yaks in stock if you want to come on by and check them out. Also we have the occasional demo day up near Navasota and if you are interested in getting info about them just let me know and I will get you the times and locations so you can try multiple models in one day. In terms of price you will be looking between $1000-1100 to get a quality yak with quality equipment in terms of paddle, PFD, and rigging i.e. anchor trolly and rod holders.

Chris
SWPS
281-292-5600
Last edited by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS on Tue May 05, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_bkayak

Post by c_bkayak »

Check out streamcraft they are in San Angelo which is in your home town area. Like the car there Al Capone :D
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Welcome, a Native 12 should be perfect for you. Great all around kayak.
cheapsk8
Location: Houston - In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Post by cheapsk8 »

SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS wrote:In terms of price you will be looking between $100-1100 to get a quality yak with quality equipment in terms of paddle, PFD, and rigging i.e. anchor trolly and rod holders.

Chris
SWPS
281-292-5600

That is a big range there Chris
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Best thing is to demo the models of yaks you like and then make a purchase. BTW, I was at the Chevy dealership today and to make a long story short, they had a 1969 Camarro convertible on display with a 4 barreled 350 under the hood. Looking at that was a little easier than looking at my $1692.00 bill and $1301.00 of the bill was for a computer part that is connected to all 4 of my brakes. :x
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

The only way to go is WS Tarpons, Best yaks on the water! (I'm sure to get some hate mail!!) They track like arrows, glide like on ice and those two features will translate into speed. Stability is awesome and they come 4 different lengths my favorite is the T160 but I have owned all except the T100. Now, the T160 would be difficult to haul on you Mustang but the T120 would fit just fine. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
rtwilliams

Post by rtwilliams »

Thanks for the replies. I really Like the look of Native's Manta Ray, the Tarpon is pretty sexy too. whats the difference between the Tarpon and the Ride? I guess it's gonna come down to the deal. I got a feeling my budget is gonna be; low-end: $400 , high-end: $600. That should come close right?

Nightwing: Sorry to hear that. That's what I like about the mustang. It's completely mechanical.

Chris: I would definately be interested in your demo day, I'll PM you so you can have my name in your inbox.

fishnv: Whats the difference between the Tarpon and the Ride? Also, I do have a good yak hauler, I just need somthing small enough to hang on the wall in my apartment.