Help with trailers

HoneyDown

Help with trailers

Post by HoneyDown »

Just purchased 4 kayaks for myself and my family. I have been searching for trailers. I prefer the Malone style where the kayaks could be on their sides and carry all 4 on the same level vs 2 levels of kayaks. Having a hard time locating a proper trailer. My question is,am I better off just purchasing the Malone or trying to build my own. Please send any pictures that you may have of your setups. Thanks
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Help with trailers

Post by kickingback »

Only tip I can give you is if you buy or build make sure the trailer is completely salt water protected metal. Trailers rust faster than anything in salt water.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

One of my neighbors just acquired a couple of fishing kayaks on a trailer by Triton. All aluminum, two kayaks side by side and space for two above, but relatively low. Then he got a third kayak. They fit nice on the trailer, and the construction is all-welded. Worth a look. TexasJim
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

On Malone trailers you can buy longer crossbars - around 6'6" if I remember right. You may be able to squeeze 4 yaks side-by-side on that if they're perfectly on their sides. On that same note I'd be cautious about the weight of 4 yaks and the associated gear that most people throw on a trailer. The Malone is only rated at 350lbs., which isn't much if you have gear plus the yaks you plan to load.
TG05

Post by TG05 »

The Malone MegaSport trailer has 86" crossbars and would handle any weight you'll need for 4 kayaks.
The Malone MicroSport can be fitted with 78" crossbars that might hold 4 kayaks on their sides. I have those to carry my 2 Native kayaks flat.
With Malone you do get 12" wheels and sealed bearings, which are nice.
TG05

Post by TG05 »

Heck of a good deal for a 4-kayak trailer down in the For Sale section: "16' Kayak trailer $400 ".
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

My suggestion:

Buy a 4x6 or 4 x 7 trailer from Tractor Supply Co. or Northern Tool. (629 bucks - but look for a coupon or sale) Carry-On Trailer is the brand. Northern Tool has the 4 x 6 without back gate for 529.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
Capture.JPG
You can either keep the back gate on to use as a second support for the yaks or take it off. I had them sell it without the gate, and installed some wood slats to enclose the back. That takes some money off the trailer.

Then buy and install pickup truck bars (Vantech is mine) with kayak cradles.
https://vantech.us/P3000-Bolt-On-for-St ... 0-BOLT.htm

I can fit two Hobies (an outback and a PA 12) on mine comfortably, and can you lay two other yaks in the bottom. The picture on the Vantech website shows four on one set of cross bars if you turn on their side).
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG
https://vantech.us/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=kayak
You can also buy and install a plastic bin that locks for gear, which is what I did. I cut holes in the bottom of the bin, ran a chain through them and the lattice of the trailer bottom, and then connected the chain using a padlock inside the box which also has the benefit of keeping the box in place on the trailer.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CONTICO-Port ... 5/19514860
I have used the trailer for other applications, and I love it. The trailer bars are at a perfect height for loading and unloading while leaving room at the bottom to access the carry bins. I have had for about 3 years now, and I repack the bearings every season with grease and that's the only maintenance I do on it. Sometimes I rinse it off at the car wash when I am washing the yak, but it is pretty painless. I also like that it doubles for storing my yak in the garage and other things, and saves me a ton of time each trip loading and unloading.

Same price (or cheaper) than a Malone, more versatile, rated for 1750 pounds (unlike the Malone) and fun to put together and customize.