Hello

fillius nullius

Hello

Post by fillius nullius »

Hello folks,

Its nice to be here. This forum looks to have an abundance of experience. I am completely new to kayak fishing. I have been looking at Native Slayer, Radar 135, and a Predator PDL. Leaning toward the Slayer. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

BTW. I just found out all Gander Mountain stores in Houston, at least, are going out of business. The store in Sugar Land was up to 30% off of lowest ticketed price. Store clerk told me they are going to reduce prices again until all is gone. I got a Mustang PFD for 172.00, regularly 250.00.

Cheers!
Rsparrow

Re: Hello

Post by Rsparrow »

Howdy

I recently purchased a Radar135. If you have any questions, let me know.
fillius nullius

Thanks. I will.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

> I got a Mustang PFD for 172.00, regularly 250.00.

Gotta be crazy to buy pfd even for $50. $250 is like completely in outer space.
fillius nullius

Crusader wrote:Gotta be crazy to buy pfd even for $50. $250 is like completely in outer space.
I'm curious, was your post meant to be instructive, insulting, or both?

If your comment was meant constructively: In the future, could you make more of an effort to qualify your statement. Specifically, explain why it is crazy to buy a PFD for fifty dollars, and why it is completely in outer space to pay two hundred and fifty. Fill in the gaps. I thought this forum was established, in part, to share experience and ideas. Not qualifying your statement, IMHO, makes you appear ignorant.

If your comment was meant to be an insult, I have several places in mind where you can put your opinion.
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

I have found myself changing things after every trip. Down to how things are stored, and how to load the kayak.

I paid a pretty good bit for my first PFD, and I'm not even using it anymore. I have traded it out for a kayaking PFD. The shoulders are more exposed, and it has a lot of storage on it.

Just get out and enjoy, I'm sure you be in the same boat.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

fillius nullius wrote:
Crusader wrote:Gotta be crazy to buy pfd even for $50. $250 is like completely in outer space.

If your comment was meant constructively: In the future, could you make more of an effort to qualify your statement. Specifically, explain why it is crazy to buy a PFD for fifty dollars, and why it is completely in outer space to pay two hundred and fifty. Fill in the gaps. I thought this forum was established, in part, to share experience and ideas. Not qualifying your statement, IMHO, makes you appear ignorant.

If your comment was meant to be an insult, I have several places in mind where you can put your opinion.
That comment baffles me also since I think buying a good comfortable pfd is one of the most important investments you can make along with your kayak. I started out with a $30.00 academy brand one and it was miserable to keep on all day. I finally bit the bullet and found a stohlquist on sale at FTU for $120.00. Best investment I ever made!
Welcome to the forum!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

By the way, Rsparrow has a post down the line in this section showing his maiden voyage on the Radar. That truly is a sweet kayak! I just upgraded to a Feelfree Lure 11.5 and love it. It's a bit slow but very comfortable and extremely stable to fish and paddle standing up, even in the windy chop.
fillius nullius

Cityfisher wrote:By the way, Rsparrow has a post down the line in this section showing his maiden voyage on the Radar. That truly is a sweet kayak! I just upgraded to a Feelfree Lure 11.5 and love it. It's a bit slow but very comfortable and extremely stable to fish and paddle standing up, even in the windy chop.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out Rsparrow's post. I have figured out that a demo day is going to be a must. Impossible to make a good decision without riding in them.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Welcome to the most addictive sport. ...:)
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

filius

I wear a Mustang HIT auto inflatable.

Lightweight, cool in the summer, even in 90 F Texas heat, so I always wear it, it's always there in case I need it. And when it inflates it has 38 lbs of buoyancy, much more floatation than most PFDs. And it's a horse shoe design so it flips you face side up in the water. And it's high vis to the extreme, visible in low light and heavy weather.

It's all about safety. And worth every penny.

Welcome.
fillius nullius

eightweight wrote:filius

I wear a Mustang HIT auto inflatable.

Lightweight, cool in the summer, even in 90 F Texas heat, so I always wear it, it's always there in case I need it. And when it inflates it has 38 lbs of buoyancy, much more floatation than most PFDs. And it's a horse shoe design so it flips you face side up in the water. And it's high vis to the extreme, visible in low light and heavy weather.

It's all about safety. And worth every penny.

Welcome.
Had your model been available, I probably would have bought it. The model I have is auto inflate-28 lbs buoyancy, very comfortable and reflective. I figured it has enough features that I need. I don't plan on going out of the bay and it has enough buoyancy in case of under toe or rip current.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

fillius nullius wrote:

Statement qualification:
It is a waste of money. I'd say 90% of those fishing from kayak eventually stop wearing pfd (you still have to carry it with you for game warden). With exception of locations where it makes sense (BTB, dangerous current, etc).

Even $30 is overpriced for a piece of cloth with Styrofoam insets. $250 -- it is like more than 50% of MSRP of very good fishing kayak (pescador sport). Plain crazy. No wonder that store is closing.
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Wow 90% stop wearing them.... My very limited exposure so far, seeing only another 8 or 9 fellow Kayakers on the water... everyone had a PFD on... I guess I should do the lottery thing right away!
robjm09

Post by robjm09 »

I'm always wearing my PFD. Its about safety more than anything. I consider myself an outstanding swimmer, but I still wear my PFD. I've been kayaking for awhile and I still make it a priority to put my life vest on. I bought the NRS Chinook and I don't want to ever take it off. I love it and probably paid close to $120, but worth every penny in book. Especially if it will save my life one day.
ShooterScott

Post by ShooterScott »

Hello, and welcome aboard!

Truck driver, part time Blogger
yaknewby

Post by yaknewby »

:idea: Ding: I've been in boats all my life and the first and last thing I do is have on a PFD. They are definitely not a waste of money. After I went out in my yak for the first time, I fell out of it in the ship channel. My PFD was my best bud that day. End of story... :D
roxsmith

Post by roxsmith »

I already had Radar135.its good and recomended.