Too early for 2015 Outback reviews?

Farren

Too early for 2015 Outback reviews?

Post by Farren »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to even ask but... Anyone had a chance to try one out? I've been researching for a while and now that the outback has the upgraded seat I think I'm sold. Just curious if anyone has any strong opinions on it. It has really been a contest between native mariner/slayer/outback. I've seen people on both sides but I'm leaning towards outback. Thoughts? Thanks
hornedfrog21

Re: Too early for 2015 Outback reviews?

Post by hornedfrog21 »

Farren wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to even ask but... Anyone had a chance to try one out? I've been researching for a while and now that the outback has the upgraded seat I think I'm sold. Just curious if anyone has any strong opinions on it. It has really been a contest between native mariner/slayer/outback. I've seen people on both sides but I'm leaning towards outback. Thoughts? Thanks
I have a 2015 Outback and a 2015 PA... After fishing out of the PA, I thought there is no way that I was going to fish out of any other boat that would be as enjoyable and comfortable. I bought the Outback really so that I could get my wife/kids out on the water on occasion. I decided to take my Outback to Lake Raven, planning on only spending a few hours, and I ended up fishing until the sun was dipping just below the tree line...

The Outback is nimble, handles the wind well, and to my surprise, for being such a small boat, it fishes much bigger than it is. Although when you look at it sitting in the garage next to the PA you think that the cockpit is small and cramped, it is just the opposite, I felt totally comfortable and the stability is awesome. No issues turning around and grabbing things out of my crate or out of my cooler. No problem turning to grab rods out of the rod holders attached to the back of the crate. I never felt any instability at all!!

The Outback turns on a dime, and gets up to speed quickly, I was able to control my drifts with the rudder, which made the wind a little less of a factor while fishing. I would be hard pressed to cover the amount of water that I covered in a paddle yak. I know some will dispute that they can paddle all day long with a peddler, but for me personally with the wind I experienced I would have been dead tired trying to paddle against the wind that day. Steady walking style pace while pedaling, it was enjoyable and fun and I covered a lot of water quickly!

I could go on, but I think that you get my point! The Outback is an awesome all day fishing machine!

I will be giving the Outback equal time to my PA...

KJ
Attachments
OutbackBass.jpg
OutbackNight.jpg
Farren

Post by Farren »

That's awesome thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping to hear!
Greatnesswithin

Post by Greatnesswithin »

I wouldn't mind buying a used one
bigeddie58

Post by bigeddie58 »

I agree with horned frog 21. Have taken mine out several times into windy conditions. The boat is stable beyond belief. The hull slap can be bothersome, but I am sold on the Hobie. Paddled a tarpon 140 for 3 years, tremendous boat. But the Hobie is a game changer!!!!!
Greatnesswithin

I bought one Saturday. The seat is awesome. I only have a borrowed kayak to compare to, but I couldn't comfortably stand in either.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

X
Last edited by Brucell on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greatnesswithin

I take back what I said about standing. I just had to break through that comfort zone. It's fine to stand in. Pretty stable.
DEW

Post by DEW »

I was looking at the Outback or a Slayer propel.
How does the new Outback paddle?
can you stand ok?
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

Just saw this and figured I’d pitch in my 2 cents. I recently sold my PA14 for the new 2015 Outback. Main reason for selling the PA was I fish alone a lot and loading and unloading my PA was a pain in my A. The new outback is considerably lighter and I can pick it up and walk it to the water without it geared up. What I was most surprised about was how fast it is. I guess I was so use to peddling my PA that the Outback just seems so much faster on the water. There is ample storage in the back to fit a small cooler and an egg crate. The side rails are recessed and I keep an array of lures lined up for quick tackle changes. I have a short rope tied to the front u-clip to pull myself up into a standing position. It does get a little wobbly when turning around to cast towards the back of the boat but it’s manageable. The only thing I wish it had was a square hatch in front of the seat like the PAs have. Here she is at the MP rigs.
kayak.jpg
Greatnesswithin

I have the square on mine
Attachments
image.jpg
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Got my 2015 Outback in February and have been out about a dozen times since then (BTB & Inshore). Great kayak!
And now it's even better with the upgraded turbo fins and larger sail rudder. And there's plenty of them out there to get rigging ideas.
Attachments
Two 2015 Outbacks.JPG