Feel Free Lure Kayak .. your Opinions

bassassasin86

Feel Free Lure Kayak .. your Opinions

Post by bassassasin86 »

I'm looking at purchasing a new kayak soon as I do a lot of river fishing and sometimes lakes but mainly rivers. I have been using a 14ft canoe so downgrading I feel will make these trips a lot easier. There has been a few kayaks that I've looked at along the way from 10 - 12ft , Field and stream eagle talon, wilderness tarpon 100 & 120, my new favorite is the Feel Free Lure 10ft alittle more pricey but I guess you get a better product like in most cases. I believe the 10 will be fine for what I do altho ive heard the 12s are all around better for tracking and such but im going with a 10 .. anybody have opinions on these kayaks? mainly the feel free lure 10 ... or advice ect. thanks
JimM

Re: Feel Free Lure Kayak .. your Opinions

Post by JimM »

They do look nice, especially the seat. The Lure 11.5 was at the top of my list, but I had no dealer close enough to demo it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I don't think tracking is an issue in river kayaking, as much as in coast kayaking.
You might like the maneuverability of the short boat better than the longer models in the river.
Spin is a very important quality in a river boat, and honestly, I think the Feel Free looks like a perfect river boat.
However if you get out in open big wind on lakes, you would want the longer boat for tracking.
Same goes for the sit-up-high seat - great for sitting up and fishing, a detriment in windy open spaces.
Capacity of the 10' looks good, but it's also surprisingly heavy for a 10' boat (about the same as a Tarpon 140). Of course it carries its own trolley wheel.
(my daughter's Redfish 10 is 44 lbs and I borrow it for a river boat - it supports me fine, and handles great)
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

Double post
Last edited by Texjbq85 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

Well I am recently (about a month) the proud owner of a Feel Free Lure 10 so I think I can help you. I love it so far, but it definitely has it's pro's and con's (like all kayaks).

Pro's:
The seat - They says it's the best seat on the market cuz it is, end of story. It can go from flat on the deck to 10" above it, and every position in-between. I mainly fish with is fully up and then lower it when I'm paddling any distance of significance. When fishing with the seat up, it's easy to store tackle underneath the seat, so you don't have anything around your legs and feet nor do you have to turn behind you to grab or put away tackle. The seat also has two mesh pockets on both sides that are really nice. If camping or posted up on the bank or shore, it pops out and works as a great camp chair.

Stability - It is really stable, you can absolute stand on it in still water with no problem, but with the seat so high I rarely need too.

The deck - it's big and wide, gives you alot of room put your rod down, mess with tackle ect.

The wheel in the keel - works as advertised, I find it easier to push than pull, it doesn't always spins great on loose or soft ground, but it's better than dragging or messing with a separate cart.

Options: it's built to add all sorts of fishing stuff if you want to, the paddle and rod holders work great and are positioned well.

Con's:

10 ft Kayaks don't come much heavier. All that stability and spaces that you love on the water, you won't necessarily love when loading and unloading from a vehicle or at home.

All the weight and flat bottom for stability means it's not the fastest boat on the water.

Tracking - it's easy to keep strait when paddling, but its not the best in this area.

The drink holders - when the seat is all the way up, beer's like to fall out of the drink holders, but the deck's so good I just set them there.

When you get off the water that seat generally has to come off if it's riding upside down in a truck or trailer. (doesn't take long, but you just can't throw and go) :D

Overall I'm very happy with it. I'm mostly on the San Marcos and Guadalupe river, in moving water rivers it's the prefect length. It turns very easily. Does great in rapids. I read alot of online reviews and looked and several kayaks. It is most definitely a kayak designed for fishing on moving rivers and not much else (which is what I do 90% of he time). Just know it is heavy before you buy.
bassassasin86

Post by bassassasin86 »

thanks for the reply's guys, I still haven't ordered one yet but I may just pull the trigger today, since I have a fishing trip coming up in a week. I've done some research on kayaks and the thing the feel free sells to me is the seat quality, wheel in keel, and width. it is a little heavier but im 28 yrs. old so I think I can handle the weight for a few more years at least. and I have a truck so I just throw it in up right (seat wont come out) .. unless needed? Most the other kayaks just aren't as wide and the seats are not the greatest ... and well im sure they would do just fine I figured if im spending 500 I'd rather spend 1000 and be happy and comfortable. I also do most my fishing 90% of the time in the river (Guadalupe, and Frio) around Kerrville and Leakey areas so the need for a 12ft doesn't seem recommended although 100-200 bucks more I could have one. it will be rare if you see me fishing on a lake, but if I get invited to go well u might (my luck in the lakes aren't near as good) with all that said. seems like a pretty good kayak overall ... as for the beer holders they might can be fixed with some type of strap or something maybe? otherwise like you said the floor is nice and wide. thanks again for the responses

@texjbq865 - did you buy the feel free uni track? if so which rod holder did you use with it? which do you prefer?
thanks
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

I have not bought any accessories yet, i'm going to use it quite abit first then determine which way I want to go.