Good fast sot?

Sneakiestfever

Good fast sot?

Post by Sneakiestfever »

I've come to the decision that I want a sit on top kayak, but its quite overwhelming to pick for a noobie like myself, what are some good, faster, cheaper sit on tops?
Fishtolive

Re: Good fast sot?

Post by Fishtolive »

The least expensive one sells at Academy Sports for $499 (sometime on sale at $449) is the Pescador 12 or the Heritage 12. I had the Pescador 12 for three years and it is good for the price but it does not come with the rudder. Please don't get the 10 footer, you will regret it later.
I still kept it for my son since I got the Hobie Rev 13 last year.
Sneakiestfever

Post by Sneakiestfever »

Okay so stay away from ten footers, got it thanks for theadvice
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Also do not buy trash from Ascend.
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

ACK has a good search engine on their website that you can check off an assortment of criteria like nr of hatches, length and carrying capacity and it will give you the make and model that fits your wants. I just used it for fun and only one yak came up with everything I was looking for. I already own it however :)
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Do you want to fish? Just go fast and far? Freshwater or marine? There are a lot of resources and reviews online, do some homework.

Then demo, demo, demo. Austin Canoe & Kayak has a big demo day coming up.

http://www.austinkayak.com/demo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crusher

Post by crusher »

Then demo, demo, demo. Austin Canoe & Kayak has a big demo day coming up.
x2

Be patient. Paddle a few at the demo day. Rent a couple days - different yaks different days. Every kayak has it's fan's...find one that feels good for you - some of the people on the water will like it, some might not, but it doesn't matter so long as it is what you like.
If you don't know what you really want (which you won't until you paddle a few), go back to jackinyak and Tallgrass replies. Read and do some searches on this site for info - you will see there is no right answer. For "cheaper" you have two options that are both valid - go for a cheap new kayak, or patiently (after finding what you like) look for a used kayak that was once expensive, but now is priced at 60-70% of the new cost.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

^^^ Very very good advice!
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

First of all, what do you consider cheap?
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

The Pescador 12 at Academy is nothing more than the old hull design Tarpon 120 and is fairly quick. It's a good hull too. It runs $499. Stay away from Ascend and Pelican. They are slow, and notorious for having quality issues.
Sneakiestfever

Post by Sneakiestfever »

Yeah I tried a pelican cast away today on a freshwater lake thinking it would be fast due to the length probably 12' and was surprised at how slow it went and I'm thinking of spending around 600-700 strictly freshwater, wanting to have the ability to fish and probably wanting a twelve foot or longer. I'm taking out an ocean kayak frenzy for a spin tomorrow. And a mainstream beat after that. (there is so much more to this than I ever realized) but once I get some good gear I'll be past the hard part and it'll be smooth sailing from there.
fish1onthefly

Post by fish1onthefly »

I would look for an older model Tarpon. I paddle a 14 and love it. Great fishing platform and it tracks well in the water. Your size will also have an effect..I am 6' 250 and tried a 12' boat..I just like the longer one better. Test Drive!
Andreujc

Post by Andreujc »

There is in my opinion no better inexpensive, entry level kayak that is faster thatn the Good ol Tarpon from Academy; THE PESCADOR. Its so good that Wilderness systems has not changes anything on the hull.The only improvements have been on the hatches and the deck.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

One thing to be careful of as a new paddler.... The Tarpons are fast, but a little bit tippy. They are great boats though. Tons of guys use them in the surf.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I think the Heritage Angler 12 is probably the best buy in a fast, everywhere kayak. Academy's price is great.
It was designed by Paul Cronin who previously designed all the Wilderness boats (Tarpon, et.al.).
It spins nicely, making it a good river boat, and it tracks nicely and has a low wind profile making it a good coast boat.
It's wide and stable.

My daughter has the 10' Heritage Redfish, and yes, her small boat needs a skeg to track downwind in Big wind, but it is stinking fast.
Last month at Estes, this was my view throughout a 10-mile paddle, and me in a Tarpon 160.
at least part of it was the paddle, she puts her Werner Shuna down, and I was still using my old A/T, but her hull glides as well as any made.
Sneakiestfever

Post by Sneakiestfever »

How is the ocean kayak prowler 13? I like the ocean kayak I've demoed because it tracks so well, I'm wondering if it may be better than the heritage, its kind of between those two now.
Sneakiestfever

Post by Sneakiestfever »

Okay guys I have decided that my first owned kayak will be the perception prescador 12' angler. Ill be getting the money in four days and then I will go get it. I'm pretty excited to get out and see what it can do. Thanks for all the help, it was much needed and much appreciated!
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

Congratulations on your decision. The one very important piece of advice that I will give you , is to go out the first couple of times with someone else. If that is not possible, at least do yourself a favor and go somewhere that is protected waters. New kayaks can be very unpredictable. You need to learn what the balance points are on your particular boat.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

now comes the rigging, and it's as much fun as paddling.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

Sneakiest,
The other thing to do is to paddle it a few times and figure out where you want things before you start drilling holes in your boat. It will save you a lot of anxiety when you realize you put something somewhere that doesn't end up working out for you.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

absolutely agree - with all my rigging, I've only drilled 2 holes in any boat (but my Tarpon has slidetrax).
Sneakiestfever

Post by Sneakiestfever »

That's a good idea, I've already been thinking of where things would fit but not if they were actually accessible... Thanks for the tip:)