Ceviche Recipe Help

Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Ceviche Recipe Help

Post by Vlaude »

For those who make ceviche, the question is - to use olive oil or not? I've used it in the past, but wondering how the fish will differ if I go straight lime juice.

I'm also open to any suggestions that you think make for a great ceviche mix! Looking at changing it up a bit... Thanks in advance...
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Ceviche Recipe Help

Post by blesker »

Vlaude wrote:For those who make ceviche, the question is - to use olive oil or not? I've used it in the past, but wondering how the fish will differ if I go straight lime juice.

I'm also open to any suggestions that you think make for a great ceviche mix! Looking at changing it up a bit... Thanks in advance...
You gotta.

If you don't, you'll have no body.

Do a search here - I've posted up a worthy ceviche recipe. :)

b
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

Yeah Blesker I have used Olive Oil in the past, but some recipes do not use it. I am curious to try something different. I usually mix the fish along with a few other items with the lime / olive oil and throw it into the refridgerator in a zip lock bag getting the air out first... Its always turned out pretty good, but thinking of changing it up a bit. We'll see gonna try to throw it together tonight and eat it tomorrow for dinner!!! :o
Brother Bob

Secret I learned...

Post by Brother Bob »

Here is a secret I learned from a fishing guide down south who took our mornings catch and made a batch of ceviche for the afternoon fishing trip.

After you cube up the fish, put them in a baggie with fresh lime juice only. Then change out the lime juice every hour for three hours. It is only the last hour that you throw in the onion, tomato, serrano, cilantro, spices. I add a touch of wortshorture (sp) and LA hot sauce. I also add green olives to mine! One short cut if you don't want to chop all the above ingredients, go to Taco Cabana and buy a couple off cups of thier chopped hot sauce and just add to the limed fish in the last step.

Bon Appotit!!

BB
Reality Czech

Post by Reality Czech »

Oh man!,...ya'll got me hungry.
I've got's to catch me a spanish Mac this weekend!

What other fish have ya'll tried it with??
Brother Bob

Fish...

Post by Brother Bob »

My favorite is fresh caught trout, but I have used fresh red snapper and grouper as well. A seafood place in Port Isabel uses grouper, that is when I tried it and liked it also.

BB
Reality Czech

Post by Reality Czech »

I should be able to come across a trout or two this weekend. :wink:
I'm fixing to go buy me a bag of limes.
Thanks ya'll!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Mangrove snapper makes some good ceviche too!
After you cube up the fish, put them in a baggie with fresh lime juice only. Then change out the lime juice every hour for three hours. It is only the last hour that you throw in the onion, tomato, serrano, cilantro, spices. I add a touch of wortshorture (sp) and LA hot sauce. I also add green olives to mine! One short cut if you don't want to chop all the above ingredients, go to Taco Cabana and buy a couple off cups of thier chopped hot sauce and just add to the limed fish in the last step.
I believe you meant, worchestershircestershire sauce. Sorry, but I'm picky when it comes to spelling. :shock:
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

I don't use Olive oil in my Ceviche. Weighs it down and that's the job of the hot sauce!
CavassoCruiser

Post by CavassoCruiser »

Barnacle Bill wrote:worchestershircestershire
Oh
My
God!

That's got to be the most amazing spelling of "worcestershire" (pronounced "woostersheer") that I've seen in my life! :shock: :shock:

(I'm a smidge picky on spelling too)

PS: I want ceviche too!
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Baja Ceviche

One med Spanish Mack filleted (Speckled Trout works as well but Smacks are traditional for this recipe). Scrape the meat off the skin with a fork and mash into a bowl. Squeeze on top 4 to 6 Key limes. You can substitute regular limes but I don't think it taste nearly as good.
Let it sit for about 30 to 45 minutes indoors or about 15 to 20 minutes in the sun. Turn it a couple of times during the cooking process. When the fish has turned white/opaque, add in;

1/2 a med white onion finely chopped
1 med tomato finely chopped
about a Tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro
1 or 2 finely chopped serrano peppers
1 finely chopped carrot. (Optional)

Mix well and serve with corn chips and Salsa Huichol. (Salsa Huilchol isn't the best by far but it is IMHO the best to serve with Ceviche.)
DX2

Post by DX2 »

2pounds of snapper in pot with little water heat untill almost white ! Then 1 12oz.heb pico de gallo mango then 1 12oz.heb pico de galo hot. 1/2cup lime juice.1/2cup lemon juice.1gallon ziplock bag.take fish out of pot add to bag and mix juices.both packs of pico and sea salt /black pepper to taste ! Only need to let set a hours . I precook fish where it wont take hours & hours to make. I also add barnacle dust afterwards
WhiskeyBravo

Post by WhiskeyBravo »

A true ceviche does NOT have oil in it.
fishnv
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishnv »

Fastest method, Dice 1 pound of fresh fish, juice 6 limes let fish soak 20 minutes add fresh cilantro and two pints of HEB's fresh Pico. I make this all the time and friends and fellow yakkers have said it's the best .
vassej

Post by vassej »

Ive never tried olive oil in mine and its always been great. Also fresh flounder works even better than fresh trout if you ask me...
SFAjacks12

Post by SFAjacks12 »

I do not use olive oil I take 1 to 2 lbs (smack,trout,flounder, or any other lightly flavored fish) put it in a gallon zip lock bag I use a lot of fresh limes and am a fan of switching out the juice in the process. I then make a large batch of pico using fresh and petite diced tomatoes( saves time dicing fresh tomatos) i will even add a can of hot rotel to spice it up, 1 to 3 cloves garlic, 3 to 4 jalapeños (ceranos are for the ladies) I leave seeds and membranes in I like it spicy, half an onion, when making pico I always squeeze 1 to 2 limes in but when making ceviche it may not be necessary, add salt to draw out juice and at times a little black pepper. Let both sit overnight seperately then combine the two and to give "body" to it a friend born and raised in Mexico told me to add spicy v8 to your liking.

To the person who boils the fish, you are the safest of us all, as a university trained wildlife biologist I should say that any meat should be cooked to 150 degrees F in order to kill any parasites. Everyone else is risking it. As water temps increase parasite loads will increase exponentially. But to quote some retarded and unimaganitive raper to stupid to say carpe deim YOLO
Yaktastic

Post by Yaktastic »

Because lemons are acidic, this is what cooks the seafood. I generally use raw baby shrimp and scallops as well as fresh diced seabass.

Ingredients:
diced yellow onion
diced red bell peppers
chopped cilantro
and fresh squeezed lemons

Method:

Combine all ingredients and let them soak over night. When you are ready to eat, strain liquid and eat with favorite crackers :dance:
DX2

Post by DX2 »

Enough is enough I guess iam some ceviche soon :lol: