Blue Crab on the Pit

Frankiebones

Post by Frankiebones »

Handling a live crab:

Use long tongs to pick one out and place it on the ground. With your shoe gently step on its back to hold it down, then reach for both claws, one in each hand and snap off each one. Follow Raack66's recipe for the body, but boil the claws with Old Bay or Crab Boil, then with board plates, a light hammer, red sause and lots of cold beer.....huuuuummmmm
Pete Collazo

Crabs on the pit.

Post by Pete Collazo »

I can't believe I have forgoten about this method. Years ago I knew a guy we called Mooney; he and his wife would go to the bay catch Blue Crabs put them in the pit; close the lid and then once the clicking stopped they were done. He would dip the meat in butter, or Garic butter once they were done they discarded the shells cleaned out the pit and went home. What a day.
His wife was the best crab catcher I ever saw. She did it old school. She would swing out a fish head tied to momo then work the crab(s) towards shore approach slowly then with an undone wire hanger hook shaped at the end she would grab the under part of the clawarm and sling it into the cooler.
Thanks for the spark of a wonderful, simplier time; I think I'll dig out my old mesh crab trap an relive a few of those times with my kids.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

I make "barbecued" crabs every once in a while. Never figured why they are called that since they are deepfried. I get my seasoning from Maceo Spice Company in downtown Galveston, I usually have to ask them to make up some. I put the crabs in the freezer for about 30 minutes to stun them, then clean them, season them, let them sit in the fridge or cooler for 30 minutes, then drop them in the fry daddy for a few minutes each.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Reefmonkey wrote:Maceo

Maceo - Galveston word for MAFIA
this side up

Post by this side up »

In grade school, I lived right across the street from Vic and played with his kids, one of whom is now head of the beach patrol in Galveston.

It was cool to go over there.....they always had Cokes in the fridge, and a maid that would make us sandwiches and cut the crust off (what was that about?), the place was kept really frosty while we still had doors open, and they had a driver for the Caddy.

Yup, your everyday kinda guy next door.

scratching chin......looking off into space........Yeah, those were the good old days.....when hookers were at a central location, you could gamble in Galveston, and you knew to behave because all the cops were friendly with crooks and there was an order to the whole scenario. You could sin and be safe (physically).

Now look what we have done........went and screwed up a controled system in the name of morality. Now you have more hookers, none of which have any controls, you can get your brains beat out at an ATM or carjacked, you gotta get on airplane to gamble at someplace that has starpower. Progress, hah, I think not.

Bring back Sam and Vic. Down with Marvin Zindler.
blairjj

Post by blairjj »

blesker wrote:Sounds like something a wee 4 prong garden rake might be good for, eh?

You've seriously piqued my curiousity - now I'm going clam hunting too.

Man, I hate this adult attention deficit disorder!

b

Here Ya go,

http://www.billssportshop.com/crabsupplies/rakes.html
this side up

Post by this side up »

The rake would be cool because it would let you work water deeper than arm's length and not have to go dunking for clams.....sweet
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

CaptJack wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote:Maceo

Maceo - Galveston word for MAFIA

Yup, good ol Sam and Rose.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

From the TPWD website...,

Other Aquatic Life (Fresh & Salt Waters)
Aquatic life, except threatened and endangered species, not addressed in this guide may be taken only with the devices defined as lawful for taking fish, crabs, oysters, or shrimp in places and at times as provided in this guide

In public waters, a fishing license is required to take mussels, clams, crayfish and other aquatic life for personal use. In salt water, a saltwater fishing stamp is also required. A hunting license is required to hunt turtles and frogs.
Clams, Mussels and Other Molluscan Shellfish taken from public salt waters may be taken only from waters approved by the Texas Department of Health. (Maps identifying approved areas may be obtained from the TDSHS, Seafood and Aquatic Life Group, (512) 719-0215. Additional information concerning area closures may be obtained 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling (800) 685-0361.)
Consumption of Clams and Mussels taken from public fresh waters is prohibited by the TDSHS.
No more than 25 pounds of whole mussels and clams, or 12 pounds of mussel and clam shells may be taken per day for personal use and consumption only.
Mussels and clams may only be taken by hand.
Freshwater mussels of the following species may be taken only when they will not pass through a ring with an inside diameter (I.D.) specified for that species.
SPECIES Ring ID in Inches
Washboard 4.00
Threeridges and roundlakes 2.75
Mapleleafs and pimplebacks 2.75
Tampico pearlymussel 2.75
Bleufer 2.75
All Other Species of Freshwater Mussels 2.5

More information on harvesting freshwater mussels and clams, including areas closed to harvest, can be obtained by calling TPW-Austin at 512-389-4652.
Paddle4Fish

Post by Paddle4Fish »

Heard about people getting clams where is a good spot to get sum. Anyone divulge their secret spots let me eat a few and then kill me. Looking around the galveston/freeport area hasn't read any reports or seen any clams. Where is a good place to catch crabs in Freeport? ..UH that didnt sound rite.. :lol: Like to catch sum crabs (dat dont sound rite either) after a non productive day of fishing.
this side up

Post by this side up »

Try Christmas Bay behind SLP back to the Freeport side.

Should do you for crabs and clams.

Just put on a pair of booties or sneaks and find the zone that isn't all mud, but the transition from sand to mud.

Feel with feet. something solid is gonna be: a) an old beer bottle, b) a dead oyster or c) a clam.

Too muddy---no good. Too sandy--not very good. Mixed--just right.

Crabs....anywhere you can bait 'em up.....mud next to grass.
Aggie94

Post by Aggie94 »

Thanks for the tips on clamming. I have always thought about trying it, but no one ever mentioned anyone doing it here. Is clamming better in the surf or bay bays?

"Pedro offers you his protection"
this side up

Post by this side up »

I like the bays because the digging is easier.......if you look to see what shells are on the beach, you can see if the clams are where you are looking......no shells, no clams.

In the bay, when they die, they just stay buried.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Blue Crab on the Pit

Post by CaptJack »

website for the Crab Pik
http://www.islandtiki.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;