Brisket on the smoker

MudDuck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MudDuck »

One medium sized brisket untrimmed.

Rub with a mixture Tony Chacheres, and Fajita seasoning. Let it sit in the refer for at least 24 hours.

Start fire in an indirect heating BBQ smoker with a mixture of mesquite and oak. Get temperature up to 300 place brisket in smoker and braise at the high temp for 1 hour, let fire and temp drop to about 180 and smoke for at least 4-6 hours. wrap brisket in tin foil to avoid over smoking and cooking.

Cook until internal temp reaches 180 then let it rest cook in a styrofoam cooler for an hour or 2.

Where alot of folks screw up is when they cut the brisket cut the brisket across the grain not with the grain.

Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce. :D
wayfareing stranger

Re: Brisket on the smoker

Post by wayfareing stranger »

BBQ sause? :shock: HETHERNN!! UNCLEANN.!!!........well maybe out yonder they do things different than we do over cheer. Told my son " you put that stuff on MY ribs and you'd better suseed from the union boy.lol
generalnotes

Re:

Post by generalnotes »

pitontheprowl wrote:Even more of a beauty when your wife is a certified chef. 8)
You are right to each his own.
I do an true smoking every now and then, but with our schedules there is never any time to wait.
I would put my BBQ up against anyones, and taste always wins. :wink:
generalnotes

Re:

Post by generalnotes »

pitontheprowl wrote:Check your eyes.......at no point did I type BBQ other than refering to the grill. :?

Just sayn'
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: smoked brisket

Post by Alsatian »

Appelfish wrote:have researched this and perfected a smoked brisket. years of practice

4-6 hours smoked NEVER OVER 225 DEGREES-best woods for smoking are pecan and oak. mesquite burns to hot...

after 4-6 hours in the smoker, wrapp the brisket in foil, cook another 6 hours on 225....can't beat it

I usually use stubbs brisket rub and cook the brisket all night in the oven if you want the meat to fall apart..

another rule I have picked up..never smoke your brisket more then 6 hours

it is an absolute must to have h20 under the meat you smoke or else you will dry the meat out everytime

fyi:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/recipes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winner, winner, briquet dinner! Basically this how I do mine. One small difference is after smoking I put mine in an aluminum (disposable) roasting pan and cover with foil and cook until done. Some folks get carried away with smoke and the foil will prevent that.

I have even smoked em for 4 hours then covered them until cool and put in the refrigerator overnight. I'll put them in the oven at 300 degrees for a few hours to finish.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

I am starting to think you can do it about anyway because it always appears to come out good, even if I don't get the temp 100%

- pre-rub and let sit atleast 12hrs, prefrably 24hrs [I use a pretty spicy rub, my wife's preference]
- start with a mix of charcoal and then large chucks of Hickory, pecan or Mesquite (some times a mix of all of the above); only diffrence I have seen in temperature is I can keep the temp steady by using the larger half logs, with some small chunks to keep the fire burning efficiently. I am rather OCD about ensuring there is no bark on the chunks or logs
- as close to a steady 250F as I can manage and 6-8hrs depending on weight (fat side up, on a flat foil and no turning), no more than 8hrs of smoke [I will err on the hot side, making adjustments to stay below 300F but never let it drop below 245F]
- after required smoke time directly into a 190F oven wrapped tightly in foil for ~1-4hrs, until its time to eat. Remove 1/2hr before serving and then carve up. Have also used the wrap and throw into a cooler, I can't tell the diffrence.

I HATE (violently hate :evil: ) leftovers, with the exception of my smoked ribs or brisket. It seems to have even more flavor after sitting in the fridge for another 12-24hrs.

Only thing I will be changing with the next brisket will be to use a mop (I just never bothered, spending my time ensuring thefirebox was set right). I thought I had mastered ribs until I mopped the last batch...............boy oh boy it made it even better (kind of like when I started injecting my turkeys before deep frying...though how could it get any better than just deep frying?)
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Re:

Post by pitontheprowl »

generalnotes wrote:
pitontheprowl wrote:Check your eyes.......at no point did I type BBQ other than refering to the grill. :?

Just sayn'
Saying what? Your are grave digging OR you cant follow a thread? :wink:

I grill, smoke, and bbq so you might want to go back and re-read everything.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

cliftonio wrote:how could it get any better than just deep frying?)
I don't think they can 8)
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

ok - competition recipe for you those seasoned (pun always intended) cookers...

take the thick fat layer off the brisket. (I know - just go with me for a minute)
rub with your fav. I like Tony's, fast and simple.
smoke at 225 for a half hour a pound.
remove, place in tightly wrapped heavy duty foil with the previously removed fat layer on the up side, and put back on pit
235 to 250 for a half hour per pound should do it. I have marinated the fat layer while the brisket was cooking - it works a little.

If you want to try a spray while cooking - apple juice works pretty well. I have also put a pan with apple juice under the brisket while it's cooking -
Copperfish

Post by Copperfish »

Soak your smoking wood in a bucket of water prior to putting it on your hot starter fire, coals ect. Keeps the wood from burning to fast and helps provide a longer smoke. I like using mesquite or hickory from academy. I do 1hr per pound fat side up no hotter than 250* internal temp to 190*, let it rest before slicing
waterdog

Post by waterdog »

I smoke for 2-3 hours around 170, then wrap it in foil for 3-4 hours until the internal temp gets around 170.
APynckel

Post by APynckel »

First and foremost, make sure your meat is up to room temperature. This will ensure that it will take longer for the meat to rise to "cooked" temperature prolonging the smoke absorption.

I usually set the smoker for as low as it will go (between 200-250) and let it cook until I have an internal temp of 200 or so. Then I put it in a roasting pan and finish it off in the oven overnight at 200*F. In the morning it's falling apart.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

This is how I did my last one and it was the best brisket I've ever had (wife and family concurred).

Start pit with a med bag of charcoal and add hardwood to keep temp (i use whatever firewood i have. Mostly red oak). For a whole brisket, 200-225 for about 16-18 hrs depending on meat temp. Mop every 30 mins to an hr being careful not to disturb the bark. Wrap in foil (Texas crutch) once the internal temp gets to around 130-140. When the internal temp gets to 165, carefully remove foil and cook for 1 hr at 300 to set the bark. Rest for 30-60 mins, carve and serve.
APynckel

Post by APynckel »

Copperfish wrote:Soak your smoking wood in a bucket of water prior to putting it on your hot starter fire, coals ect. Keeps the wood from burning to fast and helps provide a longer smoke. I like using mesquite or hickory from academy. I do 1hr per pound fat side up no hotter than 250* internal temp to 190*, let it rest before slicing
NO NO NO NO NO NO!

DO NOT SOAK YOUR WOOD! This is one of the BIGGEST myths of smoking in the world. It does nothing but prolong the time it takes for the wood to start outgassing. The entire point of smoking is to char the wood, so what you're really doing is cooking wood with charcoal, and the creosote goes to the meat to flavor it. If you soak your wood, you are removing energy from the firebox.

Completely unnecessary and total myth.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Gotta love a thread that just won't die.
Camp&Fish

Post by Camp&Fish »

lol My first post and I had to, the right way. I made this video awhile ago.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Wake up at 2 am, after spending days studying Aaron Franklin videos among others, put your 11# mostly salt and pepper rubbed whole choice brisket on your 250 degree 3 oak chunk indirect cook BGE, monitor your Maverick 733 wireless thermometer while you tie flies, wonder why you fire keeps getting hotter, close the intake vent even more, fire gets to 275, realize 2 hours in that you forgot the drip pan. Add pan, with beef fat fed fire blazing fiercely below, all but close completely vents, fire builds to 315 degrees, go to bed cursing, wake up to a driving rainstorm that cools the fire to 290, sleep a little more, cuss some more when internal meat probe hits 190 6 hours in. Take off cooker at 203 degrees internal, wrap in foil, place in towel lined cooler, realize guests won't arrive for hours. Unwrap, re wrap in plastic wrap, then foil and place in 170 oven for 7 hours. Unwrap, serve and get truly rave reviews by all the barbeque loving guests. Even my wife, who would definitely let me know if it sucked, gave it two thumbs up. Brisket had Nice smoke, not too much, tender, moist, good bark even if it was a little soft, nice smoke ring. Neighbor, whose made a dozen or more briskets, said it was very very good. Go figure!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re:

Post by karstopo »

teechur wrote:300 in the oven, but this was outside on the smoker. I don't think I let the internal temp get and stay high enough to make it really tender :( On the plus side, I fell asleep and didn't pull the other pork roast off the smoke for 6 more hours and that came out unbelievably good (and literally fell off the bone when I brought it in!)
From what I've read, most brisket needs to come off the smoker at between 190-205 internal. Then wrap in towels and place in cooler for at least an hour.

There is a fork test, a finger test, probe test, a feel test, and from what I've read, most people take brisket off too soon before internal temps have had a chance to break down the tougher fibers.

There are about a million pages on this subject and everything else related to it on the web. I've read about half of it, and there a lot of diverse opinions. You read enough of it and you pick up on some solid advice. I've made exactly one brisket. It did not suck. It was not tough or chewy. A big part of the equation from what I have seen is getting a quality brisket to start with. So if it was chewy, it might have been because the brisket was a select grade. When you go to your brisket store, take a look at all of them. Some, a few, maybe none will be floppy or bend almost in two when you hold it in the middle. Most select ones will barely bend. Most of the stuff I read says get choice grade or better to start with. The brisket I picked was floppy and marked USDA CHOICE on the cryovac packaging and was mixed in with a bunch of USDA SELECT briskets. Some competition smokers pick only left side briskets, reported to be more tender as most cows lay on their right side (sounds like a joke but the authors were serious).
Copperfish

Post by Copperfish »

APynckel wrote:
Copperfish wrote:Soak your smoking wood in a bucket of water prior to putting it on your hot starter fire, coals ect. Keeps the wood from burning to fast and helps provide a longer smoke. I like using mesquite or hickory from academy. I do 1hr per pound fat side up no hotter than 250* internal temp to 190*, let it rest before slicing
NO NO NO NO NO NO!

DO NOT SOAK YOUR WOOD! This is one of the BIGGEST myths of smoking in the world. It does nothing but prolong the time it takes for the wood to start outgassing. The entire point of smoking is to char the wood, so what you're really doing is cooking wood with charcoal, and the creosote goes to the meat to flavor it. If you soak your wood, you are removing energy from the firebox.

Completely unnecessary and total myth.
Funny, I did it one day to tame the fire. I get them wet for 5-10min. Never realized it was a myth, I wasn't told to do so by anyone. Regardless, I never noticed a difference in taste.

Anyone brine their briskets? I've never been a fan of brining a smoked brisket. Only turkey.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I'm bookmarking this thread so I can bring it back in a couple of years.