Brisket on the smoker

teechur

Brisket on the smoker

Post by teechur »

What internal temp do you aim for? I spent all day drinking, err, cooking and the product was a bit on the chewy side :(
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

300 degrees for aprox. 6 hours depending on size.
teechur

Post by teechur »

300 in the oven, but this was outside on the smoker. I don't think I let the internal temp get and stay high enough to make it really tender :( On the plus side, I fell asleep and didn't pull the other pork roast off the smoke for 6 more hours and that came out unbelievably good (and literally fell off the bone when I brought it in!)
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

150-180 degrees and about 1 hour/pound! Life is good. Warning: you may be to drunk to eat after this period of time. Or you go old style, dig a shallow pit burn lots of wood till one or two in the morning, put the brisket in with some warmed white flat river rocks and cover with the dirt. Pull it out the next afternoon and enjoy!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I use my smoker aprox. two times a month and have been doing it for about 15 years or so. O well, works for me and they are tender and still juicy. My .02 :D
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

For a 10 lbs brisket, I'll cook it between 180-190 for 12 - 15 hours. Rub it with a good rub first and let it sit a few hours. Make sure you keep a close eye on the temp in the smoker. Too much temperature deviation throughout the smoking process will make the meat tough and it'll be dry as a bone.
Last edited by Barnacle Bill on Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fisherpup

Now you won't know which forum to frequent.......

Post by Fisherpup »

:lol: http://www.texasbbqrub.com/phpBB2/index.php

The consensus amongst most folks who use wood smokers is to cook brisket at 225-250 degrees, 1 hour per pound of meat and bring to an internal temperature of 165-180 degrees. Most people "rest" the meat about 30-60 minutes after it comes off the pit -- usually wrapping it in foil and tossing it in a cooler with blankets or some other kind of insulation.

It's about 50/50% on fat side up or down. I've tried it both ways and it works OK either way.

A very good rub is to lightly coat the brisket with yellow mustard and then take whatever dry rub you like and rub it in. In the past, I have used simply coarse ground black pepper and garlic salt. Let that sit 12-24 hours and then pull the meat out of the fridge at least 1-2 hours before it goes on the smoker -- putting cold meat in a warm smoker will cause a bitter flavor.

We just did 2 briskets, 4 chickens, about 40 lbs of ribs and 270 lbs of Crawfish this weekend at the house.....mmmmm good!!! Now where's my Tums?
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I pull it out of the smoker when it reaches 160 degrees. It's going to cook a while longer even off the fire, especially wrapped in foil. That is the way we do it at the tourneys.

The thinking on the fat side (Lifter) is that it moistens the meat as it cooks. I've never tried smoking one with the Lifter on the bottom.

Definitely let the meat rest at least 30 minutes. I usually let it rest longer.

I've never tried rubbing it with mustard so I'll have to give that a shot.
Hardware

Post by Hardware »

I go for 170 internal temp because it continues to cook and let it rest minimum 15 min. before cutting. Cook fat side up. I coat it with mustard, then seasoning of choice and let sit in fridge for a while. Cook at 200-225 pit temperature, sometimes lower.

I got the mustard tip and others from this site: http://www.barbecuen.com/ Smokey Hale suggest timing how often you check the fire by how long it takes to enjoy a beverage of choice (don't enjoy to quickly though :lol: )
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I check the fire no sooner than every 20-30 minutes.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

You guys are spending way too much time on your briskets!! I have tried the smoking thing and it is okay, but every one I know likes my way a hell of a lot better.
1-Marinade your brisket in any flavor you like, or rub, or what ever you want for at least three or four hours(I do mine over night).
2-Get your bbq pit as hot as you can, I usually wind up using 5 - 10 pounds of coals.
3-Tightly wrap your brisket in atleast EIGHT layers of aluminum foil alternating seams. Make sure you can keep track of the fat side, I put a couple of slices of onions on top of the fat for flavor and to help keep track of what side I want up.
4-Put it on your grill as close to the fire as you can. Put the fat side down for about 10 minuets, NO LONGER!!!
5-Turn your brisket fat side up and close the lid.
6-Depending on the size of your brisket, in 3 - 5 hours you will have a cooked brisket. Internal temp of about 160 - 180. Also the tightly wrapped foil will look like it is starting to take the shape of a ball.
7-Let it rest for about 15 mins. and enjoy. The brisket will fall apart easily since it was basically steamed in its own juice.
PS-----You will know you did the foil right if it does not leak untill you tear it open.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

You guys are spending way too much time on your briskets!! I have tried the smoking thing and it is okay, but every one I know likes my way a hell of a lot better.
1-Marinade your brisket in any flavor you like, or rub, or what ever you want for at least three or four hours(I do mine over night).
2-Get your bbq pit as hot as you can, I usually wind up using 5 - 10 pounds of coals.
3-Tightly wrap your brisket in atleast EIGHT layers of aluminum foil alternating seams. Make sure you can keep track of the fat side, I put a couple of slices of onions on top of the fat for flavor and to help keep track of what side I want up.
4-Put it on your grill as close to the fire as you can. Put the fat side down for about 10 minuets, NO LONGER!!!
6-Depending on the size of your brisket, in 3 - 5 hours you will have a cooked brisket. Internal temp of about 160 - 180. Also the tightly wrapped foil will look like it is starting to take the shape of a ball.
7-Let it rest for about 15 mins. and enjoy. The brisket will fall apart easily since it was basically steamed in its own juice.
PS-----You will know you did the foil right if it does not leak untill you tear it open.
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

Not to be a smarta$$ but why would you even use the grill/smoker for that :? ?

You have to have some smoke, man! Whether it comes from coal or wood. I prefer the wood myself and I never let the temp go over 225, I prefer to keep her about 200.

Rest for meat is good, I let steaks rest :!:
UofHYaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by UofHYaker »

pitontheprowl:

You mine as well use the crock pot or oven. The smoker is to put smoke in your meat. I bet it is tender but I gota have some smoke.
UofHYaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by UofHYaker »

why is there iny debate about fat side up or down?

FAT IS FLAVOR!!! (the nuber one rule when cooking anything)

Put it fat side up so as the fat melts it saturates down into the meat and makes it really jucy. Its also really good to put some pork fatback slices on top too so that can melt in (you usually have to trim some of the beef fat off first).
Fisherpup

Post by Fisherpup »

pitontheprowl wrote:You guys are spending way too much time on your briskets!! I have tried the smoking thing and it is okay, but every one I know likes my way a hell of a lot better.

Not to burst your bubble pit, but callin' that Smoked Brisket or even BBQ'd brisket will get a man hung down these parts.

Your recipe is a good one for BRAISED brisket...which like someone else said...you could just do that in your oven.

But two entirely different flavors. And a bad braised brisket...to much fat rendering...can make it outright mushy.

But to each his own...that's the beauty of cookin'!
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Even more of a beauty when your wife is a certified chef. 8)
You are right to each his own.
I do an true smoking every now and then, but with our schedules there is never any time to wait.
I would put my BBQ up against anyones, and taste always wins. :wink:
Fisherpup

Post by Fisherpup »

pitontheprowl wrote:I would put my BBQ up against anyones, and taste always wins. :wink:

You're on! And you're right, taste always wins! :wink: :lol:
PMC

Post by PMC »

Looks like We have us here a challenge, If you guys live around Austin, I will volunteer to be an impartial judge, Set a date for the cookout and let me know!!! 8)

Hey pitontheprowl you're wife can't help you in anyway this is between you and Fisherpup, "LET THE COOKOUT BEGIN BOYZ" :twisted:
Appelfish

smoked brisket

Post by Appelfish »

have researched this and perfected a smoked brisket. years of practice

4-6 hours smoked NEVER OVER 225 DEGREES-best woods for smoking are pecan and oak. mesquite burns to hot...

after 4-6 hours in the smoker, wrapp the brisket in foil, cook another 6 hours on 225....can't beat it

I usually use stubbs brisket rub and cook the brisket all night in the oven if you want the meat to fall apart..

another rule I have picked up..never smoke your brisket more then 6 hours

it is an absolute must to have h20 under the meat you smoke or else you will dry the meat out everytime

fyi:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/recipes.htm
wilded

Post by wilded »

I can't believe someone would call that barbecue! Cooked in foil :shock:

I can just see some judge looking for the smoke ring on that brisket.

For you true Texans

Wild Ed's Brisket rub
8 parts salt
5 parts course ground pepper
2 parts garlic powder
1 part allspice

Coat completely with rub. Cook fat side up 1 hour per pound. Cook last 2 hours in brown paper sack or wrap in butcher paper waxed side out. Try not to let heat get over 200 Enjoy!
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Check your eyes.......at no point did I type BBQ other than refering to the grill. :?
Appelfish

bbq

Post by Appelfish »

I cook for taste, not for looks. it all comes out the same way anyway

:shock:
jcbanik

the best way to cook a brisket

Post by jcbanik »

This is the way I smoke a brisket. Start you a good oak fire in the fire box. Season the brisket with generous amounts of tonys and garlic powder. when you fire is down to coals and the pit is around 200 degrees add the brisket fat side up and add some more oak, pecan, or hickory. Make sure your getting lots of smoke and let cook for two hours, after two hours remove brisket and put it in an aluminum pan dump two beers and one sliced onion on top of the brisket cover with foil and let cook at 200 degrees for another 6 to 8 hours depending on how tender you want the brisket. This works well for briskets in the 11 to 15 pound range.
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

pitontheprowl wrote:You guys are spending way too much time on your briskets!! I have tried the smoking thing and it is okay, but every one I know likes my way a hell of a lot better.

Heck, some pits I cook on can get to 600 degrees!

3-5 hours at 500 to 600 degrees F will turn it into a brick!

So I'll take that #2 comment with a grain of salt...