Grilled bacon wrapped fish filets

charlief1

Grilled bacon wrapped fish filets

Post by charlief1 »

Pretty descriptive title but I'll go ahead and tell you how. Cut the fillets the same width and length as the bacon strips, wrap the two together and use a tooth pick to hold together. Put on the grill until done. You can add a slice of jalapeno, onion, or pepper to add flavor but it's really not needed. Not my idea but I hope you enjoy guys and gals. :wink:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Grilled bacon wrapped fish filets

Post by karstopo »

That does sound good. Fish poppers.
54Bravo

Post by 54Bravo »

Confused :?:

Bacon takes a lot longer to cook than fish. Do you cook the bacon first or partially?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

charlief1 wrote:Pretty descriptive title but I'll go ahead and tell you how. Cut the fillets the same width and length as the bacon strips, wrap the two together and use a tooth pick to hold together. Put on the grill until done. You can add a slice of jalapeno, onion, or pepper to add flavor but it's really not needed. Not my idea but I hope you enjoy guys and gals. :wink:
OK, so I had my eye on this since you posted and just want to say.....good instinct, though the mixing of seafood and swine is a little perverted to me....or I should say...to my brain. To my stomach, BRAVO!!

First of all, what I found out was that too thick of a fillet is hard to roll up. A fillet from a 16" trout is ideal and gives a better fish to bacon ratio. Too thin and it's too strong of bacon. Fortunately, I had multiple sizes, so I'll know for next time to use those medium size fillets.

Second, I would not use flounder for this recipe, but only because I could eat flounder with no spice at all, not to mention stuffed, per my recipe below.

Third, rather than use toothpicks, I put multiple roll-ups onto a flat bar metal skewer (*best on-line purchase ever-stuff doesn't spin on the skewer when it gets cooked). This made turning them a cinch, and I turned them often so that the bacon would get cooked through.

Fourth, based on 54Bravo's question above, I precooked the bacon in the oven for 12 minutes at 300 and then let it cool, before rolling them up.
charlief1

Post by charlief1 »

Yaklash wrote:Fourth, based on 54Bravo's question above, I precooked the bacon in the oven for 12 minutes at 300 and then let it cool, before rolling them up.
You could pre-cook the bacon but unless you're using a really hot grill the bacon should cook at about the same rate. Nice mention on the skewers and that's a good idea to keep it easier to cook and serve. I use a cool grill myself so the fish doesn't cook like a normal grill, more like a smoker. I also use Elm for cooking to keep the temps down in the summer rather than other woods. In the winter I use mesquite so I can keep the temps easier. Fall and spring I'll either mix woods or use something in between, like pecan.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

charlief1 wrote:
Yaklash wrote:Fourth, based on 54Bravo's question above, I precooked the bacon in the oven for 12 minutes at 300 and then let it cool, before rolling them up.
You could pre-cook the bacon but unless you're using a really hot grill the bacon should cook at about the same rate. Nice mention on the skewers and that's a good idea to keep it easier to cook and serve. I use a cool grill myself so the fish doesn't cook like a normal grill, more like a smoker. I also use Elm for cooking to keep the temps down in the summer rather than other woods. In the winter I use mesquite so I can keep the temps easier. Fall and spring I'll either mix woods or use something in between, like pecan.
I did mine on the gas grill with one burner on high after heating the grill with all three. I turned off 2 burners, oiled the heck out of the grill and put the skewers off to the side of the burner that was still going, but the flames on the other side were medium-high. Next time I'll try it slower, but starting a fire for fish is more trouble than I'm willing to go through for less than 3 hours of cooking :D . Thanks!