Smoking turkey

Cliff Hilbert

Smoking turkey

Post by Cliff Hilbert »

I smoked a turkey on a charcoal and wood smoker on Wednesday to bring over to some friends house for dinner on Thursday. What I did different this time was spread about a pound of bacon over the turkey just after I put it on the smoker. After it was done I took about a quart of water and drippings from the water pan and put it in the fridge. The next day we carved the turkey and poured some of the drippings on it, then put it in the oven to reheat. Boy, was it delicious! The bacon drippings mixed with the turkey drippings made for an awesome flavor!
APynckel

Re: Smoking turkey

Post by APynckel »

I always brine my turkeys for a day before I smoke them. It helps keep the meat from drying out. I prefer to do a maple syrup / apple cider / cinnamon brine, then I stuff the turkey with apple slices before I throw it on the smoker.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That does sound good, bacon usually makes things better. I brined my one smoked turkey. My brine was salt, brown sugar, allspice berries, and cracked pepper. It was a fresh turkey and not prebrined. What wood do yall like? I did orange wood. Made the skin a pretty golden color. I could have used a little more wood smoke.
salvadordaly

Post by salvadordaly »

A good 24 hr. brine with salt, pink salt, brown sugar, orange and lemon peels, thyme, sage, bay leaves, parsley, whole black pepper corns, a little red pepper flakes, lots of crushed garlic. Smoking over pecan wood for me! Damn just ate and getting hungry again!