Smoked Whole Chickens

SPECKulator
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Smoked Whole Chickens

Post by SPECKulator »

I have always enjoyed BBQ'ing, but I've never really been satisfied with my results when it comes to chicken . . . until I tried this method. This recipe resulted in absolutely the best tasting, juiciest smoked chicken I have ever tasted. It takes some extra time, but the flavor is worth it.

Smoked Whole Chickens

Ingredients:

Chicken(s) – 4 lb.+

Brine (Quantities per Chicken):
1 gallon boiling water
1 lemon, halved
1 cup kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper

To stuff each Chicken:
1 lemon – quartered
1 onion – quartered
1 whole, fresh jalapeno
2 cloves garlic – peeled and halved

Basting Sauce:
Vegetable oil
Whole garlic cloves
Tabasco sauce
Black Pepper

Instructions:

Day before: Brine chicken(s) overnight, but not more than 12 hours. To make brine, combine all brine ingredients in a bowl, crock or heavy duty plastic container large enough to hold chicken(s). Stir to dissolve salt. Cool, then refrigerate until completely cold. Place chicken(s) breast-side down in brine. Weight with a heavy plate if necessary to keep chicken(s) completely submerged. Refrigerate overnight, but not more than 12 hours.

BBQ Day: Remove chickens from brine, rinse and allow to air dry. (If you are not ready to start cooking at the end of the brining time, remove, rinse, dry and refrigerate chickens until ready.) Stuff each chicken with 1 lemon (quartered), 1 onion (quartered), 1 jalapeno (whole) and 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and halved). Sprinkle each chicken with black pepper.

Place chickens in smoker or large, covered BBQ pit away from the direct heat. Hold the temperature at 225 to 250 degrees and smoke chickens for 3 ½ to 4 ½ hours. I use a heavy gauge smoker/pit with an off-set fire box. Times may vary depending on cooking method. I prefer pecan wood for chickens.

After placing chickens on smoker, prepare basting sauce. Put vegetable oil in a small pot and season to your liking with garlic cloves, Tabasco sauce and/or black pepper. Heat sauce and keep warm. Baste the birds every 30-45 minutes. Chickens will become a nice, rich brown color. When the drumstick wiggles free, they are done (3 ½ to 4 ½ hours).
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

MMmmmmmmmmm, MMMMmmmmmmm!!!!! What time do I show up to eat? I'll even do the dishes!
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

I'm a big fan of brining meat.

I love to brine a pork butt, inject it and put a good rub on it. Smoke it until the internal temp get close to 160 and let her rest in a cooler or somewhere for about 20-30 minutes. Pulled pork sandwiches or just plain doesn't make any difference, it's all good.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I've definitely got to try this recipe. It looks so good on my screen and I can't wait till the "real chicken" is on my plate. :D
Opus

Post by Opus »

Me wings are a flappin jus thinking about this. I always cook my chickens in a can of beer. I use non-alcoholic sense I can't have alcohol.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Just so you'll know - if you cook with alcohol it evaporates off. And some non-alcoholic drinks do have alcohol in them. So do a lot of cough medicines.
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

good recipe
8) CMALIBU1