TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Saw this recipe at HEB...

Post by DelSol »

I'll pass 8)

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Saw this recipe at HEB...

Post by Mythman »

Awe come on.................here is a 18 inch mullet I got on one of my late fishing trips, you could use it!!

JMS

Post by JMS »

All those Sharks and Bull reds can't be wrong, give it a try
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Years ago I lived in the Jacksonville, Florida area and Silver Mullet was a regular item on the dinner table. The meat is nice and white unlike the greasy mess we have in our mullet here on the Texas coast. Silver Mullet is very good to eat and I wish we had them here.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I saw a guy doing smoked mullet on a cooking show once. He Italian born, a chef in Boston and the mullet he based the recipe on was of a Mediterranean variety of mullet or something very similar. He was using silver mullet out of Florida and referred to "some other kind of mullet you certainly do not want to use."
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

In Port A I've seen people grill them up also. I've never tried them, I always thought their meat was full of bones.

Wiz
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

they say fresh fish shouldn't stink......pull a mullet out of the surf and they stink to high hell! :D

I have eaten whole fried mullet in Egypt.....taste was fine, just a hell of a lot of bones vest actual fish meat.

I have heard that mullet from sandy bottoms taste way different than those mullet around here with our muddy bototms
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Man I don't know about preparing and eating the mullet from the coast. They're sucking up the same nasty crud that oysters filter. And as we all know, there is a very good reason we don't eat fresh oysters in the summer months......just say'n :roll:
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

I cooked up 3 large mullet earlier this year. They were VERY good. I cooked up some smaller mullet about three months ago. The bones were a hassle, but even after sorting that out the meat just wasn't the same.

So, I'll definitely be frying some up again, but they'll have to be big ones.
bobbyp2010

Post by bobbyp2010 »

On a dare, I threw one on the fire pit whole and ate him.
I was surprised at how palatable it was. The flavor was similar to crab meat. By the end of the night, all 7 people in our crew had tried some and it was a unanimous "not bad!" I'm not saying i would actively go looking for big eating mullet, but the next biggun that lands in my cast net is probably getting filleted.