My Redfish cooking is Blah

BLML

My Redfish cooking is Blah

Post by BLML »

Just at a loss for words. I don't fry anymore and everytime I grill redfish it tastes gamey and starchy. I'm almost at the catch and release point with redfish.
Any ideas?
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: My Redfish cooking is Blah

Post by Phishtech »

Be sure and bleed your Reds real good. You'll taste the difference.
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

try it on the half shell, lemon pepper on top, sprinkle some olive oil so the seasoning can stick and bbq baby. Its Guuud!
BLML

Post by BLML »

Thanks all, I will give it one last try
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Also, if you fillet the Reds, cut out the large red area that runs the length of the fillet on the outside. This has a lot of blood in it and affects the taste of the fish.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Phishtech wrote:Also, if you fillet the Reds, cut out the large red area that runs the length of the fillet on the outside. This has a lot of blood in it and affects the taste of the fish.
Both of Phistech's replies are good advice. I have a friend who, when we are throwing trout and redfish fillets together into a fish fry, insists that we remove the bloodline from the reds. He will not eat redfish unless properly bled or with the bloodline cut out.

On the cooking front, I do the half-shell thing more often than fillets (fried or otherwise). It keeps the meat moist and it is hard to overcook it. I do not cut out the blood line - I don't mind that taste (tho I'll take trout, croaker, whiting, flounder and sheepshead over redfish any day of the week). But if that is the taste that is bothering you, you may be better off not eating that dark line down the spine, once you've cooked it on the half-shell.
BLML

Post by BLML »

Yaklash wrote:
Phishtech wrote:Also, if you fillet the Reds, cut out the large red area that runs the length of the fillet on the outside. This has a lot of blood in it and affects the taste of the fish.
Both of Phistech's replies are good advice. I have a friend who, when we are throwing trout and redfish fillets together into a fish fry, insists that we remove the bloodline from the reds. He will not eat redfish unless properly bled or with the bloodline cut out.

On the cooking front, I do the half-shell thing more often than fillets (fried or otherwise). It keeps the meat moist and it is hard to overcook it. I do not cut out the blood line - I don't mind that taste (tho I'll take trout, croaker, whiting, flounder and sheepshead over redfish any day of the week). But if that is the taste that is bothering you, you may be better off not eating that dark line down the spine, once you've cooked it on the half-shell.
Thanks! Yea I was cutting the red meat out as well. Put foil on the grill with garlic and pepper. Maybe I am over cooking. Just wasn't tasty at all
Sinbad

Post by Sinbad »

Here is my latest redfish on the halfshell recipe I grilled a few nights ago.

1.Chopped and minced fresh garlic then added some course sea salt and mashed into a paste. Added 1-2 ozs of olive oil and stirred/mixed.
2. squeezed some lime on redfish flesh side; sprinkled with ceyenne pepper, sea salt, black pepper. Then added the garlic oil on top. Just enough to coat it and seal in the dry seasonings. Put back in fridge for an hour. Took out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
3. Soaked some pecan chips and small chunks in water for 1-2 hours. Put wood in smoke box and under my propane gas grill grates. Fired it up on high and waited about 15 minutes til smoking.
4. Placed halfshells in center of grill; flesh side up and cooked 5 minutes; still on high. Opened grill to check and shuffled fish 90 degrees. Continued cooking another 3-4 minutes; checked fish and closed lid for another 2-3 minutes with burners turned off.

When it looked white and flaky but still juicy and moist took it off and loosely covered with foil.

It was awesome; smokey and spicy and very moist. Beats anything I ever had in a restaurant.
BLML

Post by BLML »

Sinbad wrote:Here is my latest redfish on the halfshell recipe I grilled a few nights ago.

1.Chopped and minced fresh garlic then added some course sea salt and mashed into a paste. Added 1-2 ozs of olive oil and stirred/mixed.
2. squeezed some lime on redfish flesh side; sprinkled with ceyenne pepper, sea salt, black pepper. Then added the garlic oil on top. Just enough to coat it and seal in the dry seasonings. Put back in fridge for an hour. Took out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
3. Soaked some pecan chips and small chunks in water for 1-2 hours. Put wood in smoke box and under my propane gas grill grates. Fired it up on high and waited about 15 minutes til smoking.
4. Placed halfshells in center of grill; flesh side up and cooked 5 minutes; still on high. Opened grill to check and shuffled fish 90 degrees. Continued cooking another 3-4 minutes; checked fish and closed lid for another 2-3 minutes with burners turned off.

When it looked white and flaky but still juicy and moist took it off and loosely covered with foil.
That quite the recipe. Thank you!!
It was awesome; smokey and spicy and very moist. Beats anything I ever had in a restaurant.
BLML

Post by BLML »

That was a none quote post, Lol. Thank you for the recipe I will give it a try. Now all I need is some more redfish, LOL
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

BLML wrote:That was a none quote post, Lol. Thank you for the recipe I will give it a try. Now all I need is some more redfish, LOL
Instead of talking about it, lets go catch them. Im hungry now!...

Wiz
BLML

Post by BLML »

wizard7889 wrote:
BLML wrote:That was a none quote post, Lol. Thank you for the recipe I will give it a try. Now all I need is some more redfish, LOL

Wiz
I wish, I remember when I went once a month
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

BLML wrote:
wizard7889 wrote:

Wiz
I wish, I remember when I went once a month
r u in SA? fish braunig lake, the glowing reds are great!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I also got tired of the half shell thing after a while. Lately I pan sauté the fish and make a garlic and lime sauce to serve over it.
For the fish, season with Tony Chachere's, and sauté in a hot pan with a couple tablespoons each of butter and olive oil. If you like a crust, coat with breadcrumbs first. For the sauce, get some plain unflavored greek yogurt, add the juice and zest of one lime, and a few cloves of garlic, minced, plus salt and pepper. If its too thick, add a little milk and whisk it together. Enjoy.
Stdreb27

Post by Stdreb27 »

the secret to red fish, (at least my current go to)
Kosher salt cracked pepper fresh chopped basil then lemon zest I put a thin layer of olive oil then cook around 350-400 on the grill. Lemon zest is key. It is good.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Here's what we do....Sounds complicated but it's actually pretty simple....And it works!
1) Start with several Redfish fillets - scales on
2) Season flesh lightly with lemon pepper, blackening seasoning and cajun seasoning (add more if you like a bite!)
3) Pour some Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice over each fillet and then rub lightly with olive oil
4) Place 2 to 3 squares of butter on each fillet and then cover each square with a lemon slice
5) Preheat grill to between 225 to 250 degrees
6) Place fillets on grill directly over heat and cook for 30 minutes or so (larger fillets may take a little more, small ones a little less)
7) Enjoy!

NOTE: Redfish fillets hold a lot of moister so it takes a bit to cook at these temperatures....You'll know they are done when the meat starts to flake (I use a fork to rake the meat. If it holds together it is not done. If it starts to flake it's ready.)
Also, I cook the fillets over direct heat (always keep the scale side down....scales will protect the meat....but will also burn through if you get the heat too high - say over 250).
Happy eating!
Last edited by Drifting Yak on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmaninaustn

Post by Dmaninaustn »

Blackened

If you or any one want to pm me I'll send the recipe
TVMoD

Post by TVMoD »

I'm with Sinbad, that recipe is hard to beat!
BLML

Post by BLML »

Thanks everyone! I did the olive oil, garlic salt and lemon pepper on the half shell and it worked great!
I'm back into eating redfish!!
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

I know it sounds nasty but I promise it isn't. Try seasoning your half shell filets with whatever dry seasoning you like and then slathering them with mayo before you put them on. Chipotle mayo is even better.

This is one of the 3 things I will eat mayo on so don't discount this idea as being from some crazy mayo lover.

Also, don't overcook the redfish. That's where the starchy/mealy texture comes from. To ensure that it cooks through without overcoming the skin side I start large filets(over 25" fish) with the meat side down. As soon as you smell fish cooking, flip it and cook til flaky.
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

redneckyakclub01 wrote:I know it sounds nasty but I promise it isn't. Try seasoning your half shell filets with whatever dry seasoning you like and then slathering them with mayo before you put them on. Chipotle mayo is even better.

This is one of the 3 things I will eat mayo on so don't discount this idea as being from some crazy mayo lover.

Also, don't overcook the redfish. That's where the starchy/mealy texture comes from. To ensure that it cooks through without overcoming the skin side I start large filets(over 25" fish) with the meat side down. As soon as you smell fish cooking, flip it and cook til flaky.

it doesn't sound nasty at all, in fact i season bass and any other delicate flesh fish with mayo. the mayo flavor goes away with the flames plus the oil helps the dry rub adhere to fish and gives the skin a crunchy texture.

Now im hungry.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Salt - Pepper - lemon juice - lime juice - blacken in skillet with melted butter - put over a bead of cajun dirty rice (with out meat in rice) and pour over the entire plate the shrimp cream sauce you made with the red fish was cooking - don't worry about left overs

if you feel you made to much let me know and send address :lol:

SB
ThePopinCorkKid

Post by ThePopinCorkKid »

wizard7889 wrote:
redneckyakclub01 wrote:I know it sounds nasty but I promise it isn't. Try seasoning your half shell filets with whatever dry seasoning you like and then slathering them with mayo before you put them on. Chipotle mayo is even better.

it doesn't sound nasty at all, in fact i season bass and any other delicate flesh fish with mayo. the mayo flavor goes away with the flames plus the oil helps the dry rub adhere to fish and gives the skin a crunchy texture.

Now im hungry.
i need to try this
Stdreb27

Post by Stdreb27 »

I do it with chicken all the time.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Mayo - it can be the subject of ridicule and IMO is an underrated ingredient in seafood dishes. Check out my "Pop's Flounder Casserole" recipe on this forum. A friend who is a sworn enemy of mayo will eat that casserole until the pan has been licked clean.