My Redfish cooking is Blah

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: My Redfish cooking is Blah

Post by karstopo »

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/elli ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Easy and very good recipe that works great with redfish. Healthy too.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

here is another way to cook fish thats great in the broiler on you oven ..https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... h%20fillet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
charlief1

Post by charlief1 »

Last time I cooked it was without the skin and no red meat. We've got a decent sized smoker and I know how to use it. :D

This will work better with a lay down smoker but can be done with a smudgepot style if you don't have a choice.

Start with a sheet of foil doubled over for thickness, large enough to have at least 1" on every end. Fold the edges up so it acts as a pan or tray. Put lemon juice, pepper corns, salt, and a little garlic or garlic powder on it. Start the smoker and get the coals to the point so you have at least 1" of coals glowing. Put the fish as far away from the heat as possible and pour some white wine in the mix. You can also add a small amount of butter if you want but you shouldn't need it. You'll need to check the fish every 10-15 minutes and keep the heat between 200 and 250, but 200 will work better. When you put the fish on add a small amount of green wood to give a little extra smoke. When you see the section closest to the fire start to firm up and turn white, turn the fish so the other side gets the same treatment. Once it starts doing the same thing, flip the fish so both sides get smoke. Use a fork to test the meat once in a while and when it's flakey on both ends, remove it.

Times are subjective so you need to adjust your checking after the first one. You may need to check the fish earlier or later as the smoker changes heat levels while burning.

Serve with some asparagus, green beans, and nice Riesling white and maybe some potato medallions and you won't go wrong.

At one time I worked with several chefs and learned a few things when cooking. :wink:
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

Just a few suggestions: instead of regular mayo use Tabasco Mayo-very good & if youre cooking a half shell brush with bacon grease.

And for a change try Redfish Courtbouillon. My grandma would make a courtbouillon out of anything that swam. Im too lazy to type my recipe but the one below will get you started. Dont forget to use an acidic such as a little white wine, vinegar, or lemon. The acid brings out the flavor.

Also a seldom used technique now days is using a good stock. Boil down shrimp heads/shells, crab shells/legs & fish bones -and freeze until needed. Foods such as soups, stews, gumbos & stock are always better after being allowed to rest in the refrigerator/freezer. Grandma always kept seafood stock in the freezer & would use it in gumbo, fricassee & bisque. This is one of the basics of authentic cajun cookin!

Again please note, this is not my recipe

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds redfish, filets
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes in liquid
2 quarts water
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tsp salt
black pepper
3 lemon slices

METHOD:
If you are lucky enough to have the bones of the fish, you should make a stock by boiling the fish bones with 1-2 quarts of water, 1 diced onion, 1 bay leaf and 1 tbsp of black peppercorns. Simmer the fish stock for 30 minutes, strain and use it in place of water in this recipe. Fish bouillon cubes, available at your local grocery store, are also a good substitute. Slice the fish filets into 1 1/2-inch thick pieces. In a 7-quart cast iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add flour and, using a wire whisk, stir until dark brown roux is achieved. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add tomatoes and blend well into the roux mixture. Add water or fish stock and Worcestershire. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, adding water or stock as necessary to retain volume and consistency. Add green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt and pepper. Add the fish filets and lemon slices, being careful not to break the fish as they simmer in the stock. Cook 5-10 minutes. When fish is done, adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve the rich sauce over bowls of steamed white rice.
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/seafood/fish25.htm
vicb276

Post by vicb276 »

These all sound delicious! My favorite is on a cedar plank, covered with thin tomato slices and pesto sauce. Got the recipe from Ruffino's. The plank gives it a smoky flavor, the tomato and pesto keep the fillet moist. Tried the same recipe on speckled trout and it was still delicious.