Brisket rubs

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Brisket rubs

Post by karstopo »

Does anyone have any favorites? I've made one whole choice 11# brisket, which came out great, on my BGE. I used a rub of mostly coarse Black Pepper, sea salt, with smaller amounts of white pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, minced green onion and parsley (all the above contained in Pike's Peak Butcher's Rub from savory spice shop) I added my own sea salt, fresh coarse ground pepper, a small amount of ancho chili powder, and fresh ground cafe Verona Starbucks dark coffee bean.

I liked the flavors. I might just use the same rub, but someone might have a personal favorite to share.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Brisket rubs

Post by Chief Brody »

karstopo wrote:Does anyone have any favorites? I've made one whole choice 11# brisket, which came out great, on my BGE. I used a rub of mostly coarse Black Pepper, sea salt, with smaller amounts of white pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, minced green onion and parsley (all the above contained in Pike's Peak Butcher's Rub from savory spice shop) I added my own sea salt, fresh coarse ground pepper, a small amount of ancho chili powder, and fresh ground cafe Verona Starbucks dark coffee bean.

I liked the flavors. I might just use the same rub, but someone might have a personal favorite to share.
damn. I'd like to try that brisket.

My favorite is much more simple - Tony's. I've cooked literally hundreds of briskets (was on a bbq cook team for a decade), and used Tony's on almost all of them. Have had many people ask about the secret rub we used to make them taste so good...
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Texjoy Texas Steak Shake. Yes it's intended for steaks, but it makes an awesome rub for brisket.
JMS

Post by JMS »

I've tried a lot of different ones, but I think just fresh cracked pepper and sea or kosher salt
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Yep...it's awful easy! Mix 1 cup each: Coarse black pepper, Bolner's fiesta brand garlic powder, Gebhardt's Chili Powder with 1/3 cup each of: Cayenne pepper, onion powder, and salt (sea salt or kosher or Morton's is fine, what ever). That should give you four cups.

Heavily coat the brisket with the rub, cook fat side up for an hour a pound, wrap with aluminum foil and add a half beer to the package and sweat for an hour. Store the leftover rub in a tightly sealed jar.

Enjoy!
shovel

Post by shovel »

Chief Brody wrote:
karstopo wrote:Does anyone have any favorites? I've made one whole choice 11# brisket, which came out great, on my BGE. I used a rub of mostly coarse Black Pepper, sea salt, with smaller amounts of white pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, minced green onion and parsley (all the above contained in Pike's Peak Butcher's Rub from savory spice shop) I added my own sea salt, fresh coarse ground pepper, a small amount of ancho chili powder, and fresh ground cafe Verona Starbucks dark coffee bean.

damn. I'd like to try that brisket.

My favorite is much more simple - Tony's. I've cooked literally hundreds of briskets (was on a bbq cook team for a decade), and used Tony's on almost all of them. Have had many people ask about the secret rub we used to make them taste so good...
Excellent advice Chief Brody! I used to cook competitions also and totally agree. We use Ball's Cajun Seasoning because it was a buck cheaper per can than Tonys. The Ball's seasoning salt is a little more coarse, but otherwise close to Tonys. You can spend a fortune on seasonings and won't make a noticeable difference than what you can shake out of a can of Tonys.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

1/3 cup each of dark brown sugar, kosher salt or sea salt, paprika, ground black pepper & chili powder (of good quality-have made my own before and it makes a noticeable difference IMO), plus two tablespoons each of garlic powder and onion powder.
centxdiver

Post by centxdiver »

Here is my latest brisket rub in case anyone wants to try it.

Fresh ground black pepper - shitload of it
Coarse sea salt - a little less than a shitload
Paprika - 4 tablespoons or so
garlic powder - 4 tablespoons or so
onion power - 2 tablespoons or so
chipotle pepper powder - 1 teaspoon or so

Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake until combined. Rub brisket and let sit uncovered in the fridge for 4-8 hours. Smoke over oak/hickroy Lump Charcoal with Mequite wood chunks until brisket is 195-200 degrees (fat side up). Wrap brisket in 3 -4 layers of foil, and place in a cooler surrounded by towels for 1-3 hours to rest.

I use a BGE and a stoker controller so its almost like cheating.
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

Sucklebusters Texas Campfire seasoning, I put that S#!+ on everything