Venison Backstrap

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Venison Backstrap

Post by Barnacle Bill »

3 Backstrap steaks cut no more than 1" thick.
1 package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup of water (if using a roast)
2 cups of sauteed mushrooms (button mushrooms or shitake)
Salt
Pepper

This is one of our favorite ways to eat venison backstrap.

I like to cut it about 1" thick and GENTLY pound it out a bit with a tenderizer. I don't hit it so hard that it makes it paper thin.

Saute' some mushrooms and drain the oil/butter off of them.

Then, put in the backstrap, sprinkle with Lipton Onion Soup mix, salt and pepper and then add the mushrooms and one can of cream-of-mushroom soup in the crock pot and slow cook it all day while you're at work.

When you get home, toast up some freshly buttered garlic bread or Texas toast and enjoy.. You can also do this with a venison roast but you need to add about 1 cup (8 oz) of water because the venison is so lean.
kneekap

Re: Venison Backstrap

Post by kneekap »

Sounds kind of like the one I use. For mine........

Chopped yellow onion caramelized(almost burnt) in butter
1 pak sliced mushrooms
2 cups red wine
Sweet basil
coarse ground black pepper
simmer and blend
add backstraps and cook until tender

Now all you need is some rice or spuds go with it.

It's meat for men.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Okay you cooking guys.....I have a (dumb) question. Someone gave me a good size hunk of backstrap and it's been sitting wrapped up tight in the bottom of the freezer for a year cause I didn't know what to do with it. I love venison -- but someone else has always cooked it, lol!!! Normally I would never keep meat that long... but then hated to throw away if it was still good. Can I assume that as long as it doesn't show freezer burn it's still good after all this time?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Firefly49 wrote:Okay you cooking guys.....I have a (dumb) question. Someone gave me a good size hunk of backstrap and it's been sitting wrapped up tight in the bottom of the freezer for a year .... Can I assume that as long as it doesn't show freezer burn it's still good after all this time?
Even assuming vacuum sealed & no freezer burn, I would tend to use meat frozen for a year or more in stew or chili, not for chicken frying.
My last pot of chili had a pound of fresh boneless pork loin ribs and a pound of 14 month frozen back-strap, both of which I ground myself. Made a really good pot of chili.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Firefly49 wrote:Okay you cooking guys.....I have a (dumb) question. Someone gave me a good size hunk of backstrap and it's been sitting wrapped up tight in the bottom of the freezer for a year cause I didn't know what to do with it. I love venison -- but someone else has always cooked it, lol!!! Normally I would never keep meat that long... but then hated to throw away if it was still good. Can I assume that as long as it doesn't show freezer burn it's still good after all this time?
BACK STRAPS in the freezer...for a whole year? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU :shock:
You should be fine. Grill up and sin no more. :wink:
3rd_Coast_Yaker

Post by 3rd_Coast_Yaker »

why did i look a t this thread? i wish i had me a backstrap right now....
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Post by Pablo »

Bless me father for I have sinned . . . must cook backstraps in the manner prescribed.

Thanks
Taz

Post by Taz »

Crock pots solve all problems
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

UDATE: Thanks! I got around to it awhile back and it turned out great. Used the crockpot and improvised since I didn't have the onion soup mix on hand so kinda'-sorta' did a combination. Did I say I'd had a "good-sized" hunk in my post???? --- just glad I didn't have to share with anyone, lol!!!