anyone got good squirrel recipes?

aaroncp

anyone got good squirrel recipes?

Post by aaroncp »

cooking squirrel for the first time soon and need some tasty input on how to cook em!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: anyone got good squirrel recipes?

Post by Mythman »

Yeah.............throw those tree rats in the trash and go to Whataburger!
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Just fry them up like chicken. Put some Tony Chacheres in your flour :wink:
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

Sprinkle Lawry's season all on cut up pieces of squirrel and place in pressure cooker. Add one cup of water. Place lid on and weight on. Turn heat on to medium. When the weight starts rocking back and forth, start your timer and cook for 8 minutes. If weight gets to rocking to fast, reduce the heat. You just want a gentle rocking motion.

After 8 minutes turn the heat off and let the pressure cooker cool while still on the stove. Do not remove the weight or open the lid till the cooker has cooled enough to let all the pressure off.

When the pressure has let off, remove the pieces of squirrel and dip them into buttermilk and then roll them in flour that's been seasoned with more Lawry's seasoned salt and then do a quick pan fry to crisp up to a golden brown. Enjoy!

Also, don't forget to make a pan of gravy out of the grease you fried the squirrel in.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Fin-Addict wrote:Sprinkle Lawry's season all on cut up pieces of squirrel and place in pressure cooker. Add one cup of water. Place lid on and weight on. Turn heat on to medium. When the weight starts rocking back and forth, start your timer and cook for 8 minutes. If weight gets to rocking to fast, reduce the heat. You just want a gentle rocking motion.

After 8 minutes turn the heat off and let the pressure cooker cool while still on the stove. Do not remove the weight or open the lid till the cooker has cooled enough to let all the pressure off.

When the pressure has let off, remove the pieces of squirrel and dip them into buttermilk and then roll them in flour that's been seasoned with more Lawry's seasoned salt and then do a quick pan fry to crisp up to a golden brown. Enjoy!

Also, don't forget to make a pan of gravy out of the grease you fried the squirrel in.
Wow, That sounds much tastier than the squirrel gumbo my East Texas brother thinks is so good (it ain't all that good to me nor near as good as his duck gumbo). I'm going to copy this and take it to him in a couple of weeks. He has an abundance of squirrels between his deer lease, the tree farm and his 20-acre homestead & I know he has a pressure cooker.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Fin-Addict wrote:Sprinkle Lawry's season all on cut up pieces of squirrel and place in pressure cooker. Add one cup of water. Place lid on and weight on. Turn heat on to medium. When the weight starts rocking back and forth, start your timer and cook for 8 minutes. If weight gets to rocking to fast, reduce the heat. You just want a gentle rocking motion.

And don't forget to serve it with a good squirrel beer.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/websites/onlin ... a-squirrel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Yeah, Red (Fox) squirrels are pretty tough. Can be par boiled or use the pressure cooker method as per the above instructions to get them tender. Then they're ready to fry or put on the grill.

Cat (Gray) squirrels are not so tough and can be fried or grilled without the tenderizing.
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Mythman wrote:Yeah.............throw those tree rats in the trash and go to Whataburger!
nah!, throw that Whataburger artery clogger and shoot some tree rats! :D
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

all joking aside, bleed & gut your kill and put on ice asap. Heat is not your friend! quarter up the pieces and put them in a bowl with lemon juice and keep them in the fridge for about an hour. take them out and slather with some stubee's moppin' sauce. put them on the grill and keep them moist with the sauce while cooking. (so that they'll be juicy! mm-mm) then eat.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Squirrel and dumplings is my favorite. Same recipe as for chicken and dumplins...
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

DumpTruck wrote:Squirrel and dumplings is my favorite. Same recipe as for chicken and dumplins...

Yep, I'm from east Texas (Jacksonville) and that is the way we always ate them. Braise them an hour or two and tender em' up and then throw in some pieces of buttermilk biscuit dough.. Best dumplings around..
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

BBQ'd whole is pretty good.
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

Let them have a drink and a smoke before preparing. This usually tenderizes the meat a little.
123.jpg
Spoonbill

Post by Spoonbill »

I've got a couple in the crock pot right now.

I cover them with water, add some Chachere, crock pot for 5 hours or more (til meat easily peels from bone). Let them cool. Take off all the meat, pinch off the ligaments and rubbery parts. Cook up some cubed potatoes and carrots. Warm up some cream of mushroom soup or make some gravy, add the squirrels, spuds, carrots and some celery, cook a bit longer, salt and pepper to taste. This is one food I think tastes best with lots of ground pepper. Serve with fresh biscuits. That's probably the most common way to do squirrel, but it works.