Stuffed Flounder

AHP

Stuffed Flounder

Post by AHP »

I am looking for a good recipe on stuffed flounder. I have three sitting in the freezer that I would like to try stuffing.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Stuffed Flounder

Post by Yaklash »

In case the link doesn't work, I'll bump this recipe to get it to Page 1, which I usually do this time of year anyway. Read the comments for some good modification suggestions by other TKFers

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 27&t=49924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Stuffed Flounder

Post by Reefmonkey »

Yaklash's recipe looks good, but here is one I came up with:

1 or more whole flounders
4 cups dried bread crumbs

1 stalk celery, chopped
1/3 cup melted butter, plus an additional 1/3 cup for basting
1/2 medium white onion, chopped (do not use sweet yellow onions)
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
3/4 cup homemade shrimp shell stock (recipe below)

Clean and cut the flounder exactly the way Yaklash says to. Place it on a broiling pan. Saute the onion and celery together in the 1/3 cup butter until onions are soft and translucent. Take off heat, and add the Old Bay seasoning, breadcrumbs, and warmed shrimp shell stock. Stuff the same way Yaklash says to. Stick in a preheated 350 F oven, basting with butter every 10 minutes, checking doneness at 25 minutes. You can add crab or shimp meat if you want to, but this recipe is a good way to whip something up quickly without having to go out and find quality shrimp or crab meat when you've caught a flounder, especially if you make a habit of keeping shrimp shell stock in the freezer like I do. the shrimp stock will give your dish a nice seafood flavor.

Shrimp shell stock recipe
Whenever you peel shrimp before cooking them, keep the shells and put them in a bag in your freezer. Likewise, when you cut a white onion, carrots, celery, parsley, keep the parts that you normally throw away, and put them in a bag in your freezer. Then, when you have accumulated enough shells to fill an 1 gallon stockpot 1/2 way full, stick the shells in the pot with a couple white onion tops, 4-5 carrot tops, 2-3 celery tops, a handful of parsley stems, a small handful of black peppercorns, 2 garlic cloves, crushed or coarsely chopped, and 3 bay leaves. Fill pot 3/4 full of water (about 2 1/2 quarts), bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for about and hour to an hour and a half. Strain through a fine strainer, salt to taste, allow to cool, then portion out the stock into 1 to 2 cup containers and freeze. Also good for cooking rice that you are serving with seafood, just replace the cooking water with the broth.