Is Mangrove Snapper Good 2 Eat???

KickBak&Yak
Location: Spring Branch, TX Hobie PA14 + Hobie Outback Waiting 2 Go BTB

Is Mangrove Snapper Good 2 Eat???

Post by KickBak&Yak »

Is Mangrove Snapper good to eat, if so, do you prepare it the same as you would a Red Snapper.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Is Mangrove Snapper Good 2 Eat???

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Nope, you should donate all of yours to me... I am tasteless and not wasteful.... ;)
KickBak&Yak

Post by KickBak&Yak »

Ok, well then - that answers my question; I'll be sure to give you all that nasty backstrap as well off my white tails that I kill this season too. Cuz IT'S NASTY!!!
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Sharp fella^^^
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

All snapper species are excellent to eat including Mangrove. But most snapper are smallish compared to Red Snapper.

I always cook any snapper whole, whether I steam it (red snapper), grill it, pan-sear it or fry it.

Snapper other than Red Snapper I like pan-seared over high heat; spiced up Cajun style in rendered butter (so the butter doesn't burn) or with Italian seasoning in non-Virgin Olive oil.
KickBak&Yak

Post by KickBak&Yak »

Ok, I'm getting hungry now.
Stdreb27

Post by Stdreb27 »

They're fantastic.
Fishinintx

Post by Fishinintx »

I like to fillet em and pan sear them while cooking a cream sauce with shrimp and crawfish tails and Cajun butter. Papadeux did a recipe like this a long time ago. Very easy and very tasty.
Heavy cream with Cajun spices to taste and some butter. Simmer until reduces Over low heat. Add the shrimp and crawfish to the snapper about halfway through the cooking.
Plate the shrimp and tails over the snapper and ladle some sauce over it all. Serve with a rice pilaf or anything else you might like.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

KickBak&Yak wrote:Ok, well then - that answers my question; I'll be sure to give you all that nasty backstrap as well off my white tails that I kill this season too. Cuz IT'S NASTY!!!
You seem like a nice guy. Lemme help you out on those hind quarters too. I'll make sure they are disposed of PROPERLY. :wink:
AHP

Post by AHP »

Fishinintx wrote:I like to fillet em and pan sear them while cooking a cream sauce with shrimp and crawfish tails and Cajun butter. Papadeux did a recipe like this a long time ago. Very easy and very tasty.
Heavy cream with Cajun spices to taste and some butter. Simmer until reduces Over low heat. Add the shrimp and crawfish to the snapper about halfway through the cooking.
Plate the shrimp and tails over the snapper and ladle some sauce over it all. Serve with a rice pilaf or anything else you might like.
Yeap I think you are talking about Pontchartrain sauce... KILLER!
http://www.food.com/recipe/pontchartrai ... uxs-507571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;