Throats

bunkie6696

Post by bunkie6696 »

I've had snapper throats battered and fried and that is my preference. just as good if not better than fillets. Haven't tried redfish but will try out on the next ones I catch.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Wow, I never heard of eating redfish throat before. I wonder if it is like the grilled yellowtail cheek you see in some sushi restaurants. I'm definitely going to try it next time I catch a red.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Wow, I never heard of eating redfish throat before. I wonder if it is like the grilled yellowtail cheek you see in some sushi restaurants. I'm definitely going to try it next time I catch a red.
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

Fried some Redfish throats last week. It's incredible meat. Almost the same texture as chicken. Hard to cut em out of the fish, but you bet I will be getting them every time now.
Lance 'Red Raider'

Post by Lance 'Red Raider' »

cook 'em and invite me over :D
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Finally caught a nice red a couple weeks ago where I could do this. I never would have known to save the throats had I not read this thread. THANKS!
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

Dems good eating ain't they!
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

They sure are. Just grilled them with some Lawry's seasoned salt.

I could have throttled myself, though, for cooking both fillets and not saving one for smoking. I would have loved to serve it at my new years party.
lowhigh24

Re: Throats

Post by lowhigh24 »

This is a very old thread but I found it doing a Google search for cooking throats. I've been meaning to join the site for a long time just haven't got around to it until now. I caught some redfish this weekend and kept the throats, can't wait to grill them up. Thanks for all the tips here(even though they were 5 years ago :o)!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

lowhigh24 wrote:This is a very old thread but I found it doing a Google search for cooking throats. I've been meaning to join the site for a long time just haven't got around to it until now. I caught some redfish this weekend and kept the throats, can't wait to grill them up. Thanks for all the tips here(even though they were 5 years ago :o)!
Attachments
Old woman.jpg
Old woman.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

FYI black drum have a good-sized throat that is worth keeping too. If I get a drum-type fish sometime I will take a few pics showing how to remove it, very easy.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

As long as the thread has been revived, my take on the soup recommendation made 5 years ago - (but I prefer the grilled or fried options becasue they are easier) - I will keep the throats and the carcass after half-shelling a batch of reds. I make the soup stock by boiling the spine bones and remaing head and tail, after removing the throats. I'll grille the throats enough to take the meat off of the bone and after the soup stock has been strained of scales and bones, I make a vegetable soup with carrots, onion, a little garlic, celery (and maybe a few other things like cilantro, chili powder and some cumin to make it south of the border), then add the throat meat to the soup about 5 minutes before taking the pot off of the stove for serving. That way, the meats not so beat up and overcooked by the time the soups done.
Mulletard

Post by Mulletard »

Here is a throat that I saved off of a grouper on a recent fishing trip. I was pretty good eating. All I did was season with Lemon Pepper and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning... then threw it on the grill scales down. Needless to say some of this had to be eaten the next few days. :lol:
Attachments
Grouper throat.jpg
e

Post by e »

Here is my snapper throat thread from two summers ago:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 7&t=127859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Green

Post by Mr. Green »

x2 on the Red Snapper throats...definitely the best, but Redfish throats are pretty darn good too, but I only usually keep them on bigger Reds. Broiled in an aluminum pan (or one made of foil) with tons of butter & seasoning of your choice on the pit for the mesquite flavor. YUM!
saffra
Location: San Marcos, TX/Natchez, MS....Runnin' hoes and makin' money

Post by saffra »

Anybody know what freshwater species this can be done with? TIA....
hogredxtc

Post by hogredxtc »

Probably Gar.
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re:

Post by spiny norman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:There isn't much that tops Redfish throats. That is some tender, tasty meat. Now I'm hungry.
Cept maybe Grouper or Red Snapper.

Scaled, rubbed with butter garlic and seasonings and broil..... Getting hungry!