Blacktip steaks

ntsharker

Blacktip steaks

Post by ntsharker »

I decided to keep one of the blacktips from Saturday, so I cut it up into steaks and soaked it in milk. Now the meat looks deformed.. Little balls of it started sticking out on side and indenting the other side. Is this normal? Should I throw it out? Never kept one before..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401674418.214927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401674442.429713.jpg
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Blacktip steaks

Post by Phishtech »

Yes, you should chunk them. I'll be over a little later to take them off of your hands. It's the least I can do.
ntsharker

Post by ntsharker »

Dang I almost ate them too. Thanks for giving me a heads up
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

A shark that size you are best off filleting. There's nothing wrong otherwise. That's the meat re hydrating from soaking. Don't cook w skin on. It'll be nasty. Filleted they are great. Steak em if you have a larger one.
ntsharker

Post by ntsharker »

I ended up grilling them up. Seasoned with lemon pepper, lemon salt, some citrus seasoning and put some Lemon and cumquat juice on it while it was grilling. They turned out amazing!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401929558.261562.jpg
ntsharker

Post by ntsharker »

Skinned them they day before and soaked them in milk again.
KickBak&Yak
Location: Spring Branch, TX Hobie PA14 + Hobie Outback Waiting 2 Go BTB

Post by KickBak&Yak »

How big was it? The one you cut up into steaks? I've caught them before but never kept one.
Mrlantra

Post by Mrlantra »

I learnt about a shark sandwich working in Trinidad, I'm posting the recipe my wife dug up to make it ourselfs using blue shark fillets, should work with the black tips to.

http://www.simplytrinicooking.com/2009/ ... z3DXikIOyX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Stopped eating shark a long time ago. Mercury levels are through the roof.
Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

I'm sure you already know this but as soon as you catch them, gut them. If not, they will urinate all into there skin/meat and soil the meat. When I catch them, I immediately gut them and take the head off then throw them in the cooler.

Your steaks looked great, I think lemon pepper/lemon juice will make just about and grilled fish taste good.
APynckel

Post by APynckel »

Bradw693 wrote:I'm sure you already know this but as soon as you catch them, gut them. If not, they will urinate all into there skin/meat and soil the meat. When I catch them, I immediately gut them and take the head off then throw them in the cooler.

Your steaks looked great, I think lemon pepper/lemon juice will make just about and grilled fish taste good.

*edit* I got some bad information, Mako's are the only sharks with a urinary tract. My mistake. You need to gut blacktips ASAP.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Stopped eating shark a long time ago. Mercury levels are through the roof.
Blanket statements like "sharks are high in mercury" are for the average layperson who doesn't fish for their own and gets fish in a pretty package from the meat market.

Bio-accumulation of toxins/metals in fish is directly related to their size/age and diet. A smaller shark or king mackerel is going to be much better than a larger one who has been around longer and eats larger baitfish (that have been around longer too). Something like a bonnethead that eats a lot of shellfish is going to be better to eat than a species that eats more finfish.

Smaller blacktips, sharpnose, and bonnetheads are my preffered sharks. Keep 'em under 4', gut/bleed right away and they are some good eating. Very mild flavor flavor (think flounder), and firm meat that holds up well to grilling and soups/curries.