Fish Tacos

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Fish Tacos

Post by Yaklash »

This is a tempura style batter and a sauce that is as close to Berryhill's as I can get.

Fish Tacos
Sauce
1 cup mayo
1 cup plain yougurt. DO NOT USE FLAVORED YOGURT
1 pack of taco seasoning mix.
1 lime's worth of juice

Batter
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/2 cups COLD club soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Fish fillets cut into 2"-3" long slices
Corn tortillas
Grated purple cabbage
Fresh cilantro - clean and de-stem

Make the sauce by mixing all of its ingredients in a bowl and then chilling in the fridge.

Preheat a deep fryer and then mix the batter. With long handled tongs dip the fish in batter and then place in the fryer. Fry until golden brown and set to drain on paper towels.

Assemble w 2 tortillas for each taco, some fried fish, a spoonful or two of the sauce, the cabbage and cilantro.
Flats stalker

Re: Fish Tacos

Post by Flats stalker »

Thanks I'm defrosting some reds now to try out
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

That recipe did not come from Berryhill....

It came from Baja California surfers back in the 70's... :roll: :dance: :dance: :dance:

...and a little place called Rubio's which is now a franchised chain in Cali perfected it...
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

M T Stringer wrote:That recipe did not come from Berryhill....

It came from Baja California surfers back in the 70's... :roll: :dance: :dance: :dance:

...and a little place called Rubio's which is now a franchised chain in Cali perfected it...
I did not imply anything about the origins of this recipe. It is my amalgamation of things I found on line or learned from others & that I liked when I tried them.

Berryhill's is my local reference point and the first tempura style fish tacos I had. I love them and have tried over the years to emulate them. When he first opened the shop on Westheimer, the owner-Founder told me that he indeed got the inspiration for his Original Fish Tacos from Baja.

But he didn't get his recipe from surfers as I remember it, but from the cart/truck vendors that sold the tacos to surfers, anglers and tourists.
FoolishSchoolFish

Post by FoolishSchoolFish »

Thanks for the recipe Yaklash, I just made it with some fresh trout and they were awesome. I was skeptical of the batter at first but honestly it's some of the best fried fish batter I've ever had. I find beer batter too thick sometimes and cornmeal isn't really my style, this was perfect.

Any idea why the club soda has to be cold?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

FoolishSchoolFish wrote:Any idea why the club soda has to be cold?
Cold and a freshly opened bottle makes for more bubbles which is what gives it that light, puffy texture. I had a friend make it with a bottle of room temp clubsoda that had been opened the weekend before - "don't want it to go to waste" - and the batter was too dense when cooked.

I think I'm making this tomorrow with some Dorado fillets a friend gave me Sunday.

If you ever get some really fresh, clear-water catfish (like from the Guadalupe near New Braunfels) that is the prime fish IMO for this recipe.