5 Alarm Chili

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

5 Alarm Chili

Post by Yaklash »

I stole this off of TV. Best pot of chili I've ever tasted. A few more steps than my normal rcipe but soooo worth it.

Ingredients:
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground beef (or venison or mix)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

- 2 oz Ancho peppers (dried poblanos) cleaned/seeded and broken into small pieces
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 oz corn tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup canned chipotle in adobo
- 2 tsp adobo sauce (from can)

- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs finely chopped onions
- 2 fresh jalapenos minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 T ground Cumin
- 1 T dry oregano
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper

- 12 oz lager beer
- 3 (15 oz) cans pinto beans drained

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large stewpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat and brown the ground beef with the salt and pepper.

Microwave ancho peppers in a cup and a half of water in a bowl for three minutes & then drain. Purée the anchos, tomatoes and their juice, water, corn tortillas, chipotle and adobo juice in a blender for about a minute.

Drain the ground beef in a colander. Heat the 4 tsp oil in the stew pot over medium-high heat and add the onions and jalapeño. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes and then add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, sugar and cayenne pepper and stir/cook for about 30 seconds so that the flavors bloom. Then add the beer, stir & bring back up to a simmer. Add the blended chili sauce, the ground beef and the beans. Stir, bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover and cook on low for 50 to 60 minutes.

Adjust salt to taste and serve with a dollop of sour cream and thinly sliced scallions.
hunterlee5587

Re: 5 Alarm Chili

Post by hunterlee5587 »

The pot of chili I make is similar, except I have yet to add jalapenos. I do add a lot of onions.

Also if you bloom the dry seasonings in the hot grease from whichever meat you brown for the chili, that brings the flavors together and makes it delicious.

The beer I have found that works great is Coors Original, but if you can.. Use Shiner Premium.

Love this recipe you posted man!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

hunterlee5587 wrote:The pot of chili I make is similar, except I have yet to add jalapenos. I do add a lot of onions.

Also if you bloom the dry seasonings in the hot grease from whichever meat you brown for the chili, that brings the flavors together and makes it delicious.

The beer I have found that works great is Coors Original, but if you can.. Use Shiner Premium.

Love this recipe you posted man!
I don't drink in Jan-Feb, so I had to go out and buy a single beer :lol: . Thinking about it, I haven't bought a single beer from a convenience store since the 80s :lol: :lol: I used Negro Modello.

The ingredients I had never used before were the reconstituted Ancho peppers, the Chipotle/adobo sauce and - oddly enough - the sugar. The second time I made the recipe, I only used half the sugar and I liked the chili better with less sweet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You are right Yaklash, the poblanos make a huge difference. So much more flavor than traditional chili powder. I also like to change the ground beef to chuck roast cut into 1/4" dice. Now you're getting close to old style "chili con carne" (maybe except for the Modelo). Definitely a winner.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Mikey wrote:You are right Yaklash, the poblanos make a huge difference. So much more flavor than traditional chili powder. I also like to change the ground beef to chuck roast cut into 1/4" dice. Now you're getting close to old style "chili con carne" (maybe except for the Modelo). Definitely a winner.
The biggest taste difference IMO is the chipotle & adobo. Once I opened a can of them, I started looking for other things to use them in. Added one mashed up into a batch of taco meat. Delish!

On the chuck, I do that when they go on sale. But I have a load of 50-50 beef brisket/venison, so that's my next 5 months of hamburger & chili meat. :D
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I will definitely try the chipotle and adobo. Thanks!
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Post by Pablo »

Nice looking recipe there Yaklash.

Those little cans of Chipolte peppers in Adobe sauce are awesome. I mix that with an onion sautéed and hunts no salt diced tomatoes for adding to my morning egg.

Now the question I have for you Yaklash, have you tried the recipe w/o the beans?

I'll hang up and await your answer.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Pablo wrote: Now the question I have for you Yaklash, have you tried the recipe w/o the beans?

I'll hang up and await your answer.
:lol: :lol: No, I have not tried this recipe without the beans. I will eventually, but I'm a "beans in my chili" kind of guy. I know. Heresy!!!! But that's just the way that I was raised - by a Midwest farm-boy father raised in the Great Depression and always looking for ways to add filler to our diet to make the groceries stretch. He was filling 9 mouths.

I have eaten chili without beans plenty of times since and I understand the prevailing, purist POV, but I like beans in my chili.

Now, Pablo, I have a few questions for you;

1 - sour cream or grated cheese?
2 - green onions or diced yellow onions?
3 - added diced jalapenos or not?
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Post by Pablo »

I just bought some chipotle chili powder and DAUMNNN what once was an exorbitant price of $5 for 2 oz has skyrocketed to $6.29!

I say this as I'm perfecting a recipe that was in the TX Fish & Game magazine that has Chipotle as a spice.

But I digress, now to your questions:

1. After all the shooting is done and the chili is poured in the bowl I would garnish the chili with a tad of sour cream topped with grated cheese and diced green peppers, chives.

2. Green onions (chives) or diced yellow onions? I use the chives for garnishment only and put an ungodly amount of diced yellow onions in the pot of chili as it cooks.

3. added diced jalapenos or not? This TF&G recipe called for diced jalapenos and I think that it really makes it big time as a major element in the recipe success.

So the heat I put in this venison chili is Cayenne, fresh minced Jalapenos and Chipotle Chili powder in addition to regular dark Chili Powder.

Like you, I add a good Shiner Bock to the mix (1.5 gal) and when I figure out the chili is a little too fluid I add flour (masa) to stiffen it up a bit.

I'll be making some probably by this Friday and I'll post up the my modified TF&G recipe. I've made 3 gallons 2 weeks back but I want to tweek it one more time then I'll publish.