The ultimate Brined smoked turkey

FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

The ultimate Brined smoked turkey

Post by FishingSETX »

Kinda late for Turkey day but may be good for Christmas. This makes by far the most juicy flavorful turkey I've ever tasted!

First thaw the turkey (12-14 lbs no bigger) and remove the gizzard and any other innards.

Prepare the brine:

1 lb salt
1 small bag brown sugar
1 jar molasas
1 jar TeX joy steak seasoning
1 jar Moore's marinade
1 jar worchestershire sauce
1 large jar crab boil

Mix above with enough water to cover turkey with liquid in a 5 gallon bucket. Use a weight to submerge turkey in bring solution. Place bucket in cooler and surround with ice. Leave for a minimum of 48 hr to a max of 72 hrs. Drain and replace ice as needed. You can also add a chicken as both will fit in the bucket.

Prepare smoker/ BBQ pit.

I start with charcoal for heat and red oak for smoke. I add pecan as needed for flavor. Basically any hard wood will do and fruit woods add a sweeter flavor. Mesquite is just too strong for poultry and leaves it bitter.

Once the pit reaches 225-275 and stabilizes, place the Turkey where the temperature is stable. Do not allow the direct heat from the fire box (if equipped) to come in contact with the turkey or the meat may dry out.

Keep this temp for approx 4-5 hrs adding wood as needed. After 2 hrs, check the internal temp of the breast and thigh every 30 mins. You are looking for a breast temp of 165 and a thigh temp of 175 degrees F.

Once the turkey reaches this temp, remove from pit and cover. Let stand 30 mins and serve.

Turkey can also be refrigerated after smoking for up to 3 days. To reheat, place covered in oven with about 1/2 cup sprite, beer, broth, etc and heat for 45 mins to 1.5 hrs at 350 to a minimum internal temp of 145 degrees F.

Never allow any poultry (cooked or not)to be refrigerated for more than 72 hrs total. That means if the smoked turkey was refrigerated for 72 hrs before reheating, it must be consumed or disposed of. If reheated after 24 hrs, it can be refrigerated for another 48 hrs and then disposed of. You can freeze it to preserve it longer.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: The ultimate Brined smoked turkey

Post by Yaklash »

Sounds good!!!
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: The ultimate Brined smoked turkey

Post by FishingSETX »

Same recipie goes for chicken. I've never had better chicken anywhere or any way and a 5 gallon bucket will hold 3 chickens so its great for a big get together.