Blue crab question..

Skadoosh

Blue crab question..

Post by Skadoosh »

I love cooking fresh caught blue crabs on the grill. I would like to cook some for the family when I go home for the holidays. My question is, how do blue crab turn out after being frozen? Are they still good or do they get tough? Would like to catch some now and take them back next month just not sure if they will still be good.. Thanks for any input or advice!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Blue crab question..

Post by Yaklash »

I would never freeze crabs. I'd rather go buy live crab at the market in Seabrook the day of the cookout.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

They turn out OK if they are cleaned and frozen but I don't know about frozen whole
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Skadoosh wrote:I love cooking fresh caught blue crabs on the grill. I would like to cook some for the family when I go home for the holidays. My question is, how do blue crab turn out after being frozen? Are they still good or do they get tough? Would like to catch some now and take them back next month just not sure if they will still be good.. Thanks for any input or advice!
Nope, don't freeze em. Fiesta and the asian supermarkets almost always have live blue crab. It's the only way to go.
Skadoosh

Post by Skadoosh »

Thx for the input and advice!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

My half Cajun mother would clean them. Then freeze them. They could be frozen about six months and still make decent gumbo. The meat would be too soft for other ways of cooking. Fresh is better but fresh gumbo for New Years Day is hard to beat.
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

Put them in the vegetable crisper section of your frig. They will go dormant. When you need them, put them on the floor. Works especially well when you have guests over for dinner. You can put leashes on the crabs and take them for a walk while you drink your wine. "Come on , boy, HEEL!"
AndrewOSpencer

Post by AndrewOSpencer »

Chaz wrote:Put them in the vegetable crisper section of your frig. They will go dormant. When you need them, put them on the floor. Works especially well when you have guests over for dinner. You can put leashes on the crabs and take them for a walk while you drink your wine. "Come on , boy, HEEL!"
My little guys would love this
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Chaz wrote:Put them in the vegetable crisper section of your frig. They will go dormant. When you need them, put them on the floor. Works especially well when you have guests over for dinner. You can put leashes on the crabs and take them for a walk while you drink your wine. "Come on , boy, HEEL!"
perfect post.