Prickly Pears

Jason21

Prickly Pears

Post by Jason21 »

Here is a great article on what to do with prickly pears! Its from my favorite wild game chef Hank Shaw! I cant wait for hunting season to start:)

http://honest-food.net/2009/11/16/a-new ... kly-pears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Prickly Pears

Post by Milkjug »

Sweet, i may have to go for those tunas (the kind you dont have to go out 100mi for) this year.

My mom made jelly with a bunch i picked years ago. They dont have too much flavor but add really nice color. Good tip about burning off the "hair spines", i hate trying to get those out.
Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

Milkjug wrote:Sweet, i may have to go for those tunas (the kind you dont have to go out 100mi for) this year.

My mom made jelly with a bunch i picked years ago. They dont have too much flavor but add really nice color. Good tip about burning off the "hair spines", i hate trying to get those out.
Yea i will be trying a few different things with them! Those little spines seems like a pain to take off! Ill be using a big torch for sure...
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Every Thanksgiving, me and the grandkids pick about a bucket of those prickly pears and I take them home and put them in the trash. On the way home, I stop in Fredericksburg and purchase a jar or two of the Prickly Pear jelly. I take the jelly and transfer it into mason jars and then me and the grandkids eat "Home Made Prickly Pear Jelly", the rest of the year.

Works for me! :wink:
Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

Mythman wrote:Every Thanksgiving, me and the grandkids pick about a bucket of those prickly pears and I take them home and put them in the trash. On the way home, I stop in Fredericksburg and purchase a jar or two of the Prickly Pear jelly. I take the jelly and transfer it into mason jars and then me and the grandkids eat "Home Made Prickly Pear Jelly", the rest of the year.

Works for me! :wink:
Mythman im sure after messing with those things ill do the same thing! I want to make the syrup so i can try it on different foods as well.