Wild hog

Fish soup

Wild hog

Post by Fish soup »

A neighbor just gave me a bunch and I have no idea how to cook it. Just like pork? Do I need to soak it in anything to get the funky game taste out? Low and slow maybe?
Need a little help!
Thanks.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Wild hog

Post by Yaklash »

Depends on what cut you have, but the problem I've had with a lot of the larger cuts of feral hog is there's not enough fat to where you can cook them very long.

I usually grind it or cube it.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

If it has a funky game taste, one of two things are usually true.
1. It was a larger boar
2. It wasn't properly cared for after the kill.

I avoid eating all boars above 50lbs and sows above 100. Meat is iced down, draining water for at least 3 days, usually 5. I've never had "gamey" tasting meat from a wild hog or deer.
90% of gamey meat was neglected at some point between the trigger pull and the dinner plate.
wn40

Post by wn40 »

I am with dtrocak on the meat in ice. we have never had a bad tasting hog that we have taking care of...... on the other hand i have some rank hog that some one else has taking care of. I use all my hog meat just like i would a deer. I just take the backstraps and the tenderloins out and rap them in bacon and slow cook them but all other cuts just like a deer.
Chingadera

Post by Chingadera »

Fish soup wrote:A neighbor just gave me a bunch and I have no idea how to cook it. Just like pork? Do I need to soak it in anything to get the funky game taste out? Low and slow maybe?
Need a little help!
Thanks.
Soak it in salted ice water for a few hours. Pull it out. Mix a little brown sugar and orange juice. Lightly coat the meat and stick it on the grill. Here is the deal wild ham is usually very very lean so if left open to the grill it will turn into boot making leather quick. I smoke it for a very short time. Maybe 10-15 minutes depending on the size. Then cover it with foil and pour in remaining orange juice mix before closing up. This will hold in moisture and keep it tender. Add garlic for a little flavor. This always works and my family loves it!

Almost forgot, guns up son! Lol I'm a fellow red raider.
DX2

Post by DX2 »

Next time ya have hog save a rear leg in freezer until thanksgivings when ya are done deep frying them turkeys . Get the Non frozen hog leg inject with Cajun butter/garlic & favorite dry rub and batter in onion ring mix then deep fry in peanut oil same minutes per pound as a turkey ! Awesome