Looking for a recipe for some deer jerky
Chingadera

Re: deer jerky

Post by Chingadera »

Honey, salt, pepper, garlic.
skimo281

Post by skimo281 »

Im still trying to figure out how you make jerky tender and moist vs dry and brittle
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

skimo281 wrote:Im still trying to figure out how you make jerky tender and moist vs dry and brittle
Try using ground meat like the store bought kind.
Real jerky is going to be dry and brittle.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Deer Jerky Recipe

• Cut Meat (try to keep it thin, thin, thin and cut all fat and whatever off)
• Put meat tenderizer and seasoning salt (I like the Cajun spicy kind of seasoning salt) on meat and leave over night in the refrigerator
• Combine:
o Water (enough to cover the meat)
o ½ cup Worchester sauce
o ¼ cup vinegar
o ½ cup of brown sugar
o 1 cup of curing salt

• Marinate meat in above mixture over night in the refrigerator
• String (Only string if you are going to smoke and dry with wood)
• Dip meat on string in hot boiling water or if no string dip into boiling water for 5 min’s per batch
• Roll in coarse mixture of coarse pepper and cornmeal (I just sprinkle coarse pepper on ½ of the batch……Grandkids can’t handle the pepper)
• Smoke to desired consistency or just smoke for a couple of hours
• If you don’t smoke and dry at the same time, dry in a dehydrator to desired consistency.

To make a batch that is more moist and soft, cut meat in larger strips and smoke and dry less. The dryer it is the tougher it gets.
christian

Post by christian »

Yum.
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

Cut the meat a little thicker. It keeps it from getting brittle. That 1/4 inch stuff never was good by me. Try 3/8 and 1/2 and see what you like better.
skimo281

Post by skimo281 »

I might have to try again this weekend. My friend had some deer jerky that was awesome but it was like mini sausages so maybe that's what made the difference. Don't get me wrong I like the taste of the jerky I make I just wish it wasn't so dry. Also I've always used a dehydrator so maybe I'll try to smoke some even though my smoker is pretty small
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

skimo281 wrote:Im still trying to figure out how you make jerky tender and moist vs dry and brittle
Large cuts of muscle, will retain the moisture. Takes longer to cure, but then you have the tender jerky. When finished you will cut the jerky across the muscle and not with the muscle fiber.

All I use is soaked in salt water for a day. Then roll in large grain black peper. Cut slit in mucle at the end. Run string through the cut and tie a loop. Now run a ceder stave through the loops. Hang in smoke house for 8 to 15 days. Might take longer if the weather is wet. The jerkey will mold and when finished you will take a vingar soaked rag and wipe down the jerky to remove the mold. Now you can take the pieces and place in zip lock bags and place in freezer. Take out as needed and let sit in open air until thawed. You do not have to keep cool for a day or two, but after that you might want to place back in the frig. but do not place back in the freezer.

Remember to cut across the muscle and not with the muscle fiber... BAD MOVE... Stringy vs. chewy!!!!! Hope this helps.

Remember not much seasoning at all... Pepper for taste and salt to start the drying process!!! That's it.

I answered your questions for soft, and a lot of the others have given their way for dry... That's why is looks so different... This is not an overnight process... The old german way...
DX2

Post by DX2 »

I keep it simple : 1/4" thick slices .fresh ground black pepper.seasalt.pinch of garlic. Mix in large bowl then drizzle some light maple syrup & mix again ! The syrup will keep black pepper from falling off let set in fridge for a hour then smoke using pecan wood for 3 hours or until slightly firm temp 150f