Jalapeño Jelly

Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Jalapeño Jelly

Post by Barry »

I just finished making some of the best Jalapeño Jelly I've ever tasted. It also works great as a glaze when cooking Venison, Lamb, Fowl.

Jalapeño Jelly
1 lb. Green Peppers
1/4 lb. Jalapeño Peppers
1-1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
5-1/2 cups sugar
6 oz. (2 pouches) Certo liquid fruit pectin
Prepare jars and new lids (wash jars & boil lids)
Wash Peppers and pat dry. Cut peppers into quarters, remove seeds and membranes.
Process peppers in a food processor or blender until smooth (there will be some pulp)
Combine peppers, sugar, and vinegar in a large kettle and bring to a boil while stirring. Boil for 5 minutes. Add lemon/lime juice and bring back to a boil. Add two pouches of liquid pectin and boil for another minute while stirring.
Remove from heat, skim foam off top, and fill jars to within 1/4" of top. Seal with prepared lids and rings. Let cool. After cooling, check lid seals (push down on lids, there should be no movement). Refrigerate any jars that don't seal properly. Store sealed jars in a cool dark place.
makes 6 to 7, 1/2 pints
Last edited by Barry on Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Barry, it's also pretty tasty when served with cream cheese on a cracker. I love it with a good venison roast.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Chris
10-4 on the cream cheese. Try making some with this recipe. It's some of the best I've had. The good thing about it is, that it's pretty mild (no heat) but has a great Jalapeño pepper flavor.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Barry,

One thing you left out of the recipe is to wear rubber or plastic food server gloves when handling the peppers or you'll soon experience Jose Feliciano's (sp) song "Light My Fire".

Chris
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

How much sugar do you use?
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Paddlefoot wrote:How much sugar do you use?

Paddlefoot
Sorry about that, it must be my "old timers" kicking in again.
I edited/added it to the recipe. 5-1/2 cups of sugar.
Thanks for the heads-up.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

When do I get my jar?
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

let's go wrote:When do I get my jar?

Scott
As soon as you stop laughing at the way I test the sharpness of my hooks!
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Barry wrote:Sorry about that, it must be my "old timers" kicking in again

I think the politically correct refer to that as a "Senior Moment", but I refer to it as C.R.S. - Can't Remember Scat* (approved family board terminology).
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

For a color and flavor change sometimes I use red bell peppers.
Chip Pitcairn
whitedog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by whitedog »

I admire that you will go to the trouble to make jelly. It's almost a lost art in the fast food age.

The first time I heard of pepper jelly was when I was in college at NMSU. Out there they use what's now often called the Anaheim pepper. It's called that because a couple of GI bros from Anaheim discovered it in NM during WWII, and took it home for marketing. In the mean time, folks in NM had grown it 300-400 years depending on whenever Santa Fe began. In NM it was simply called chile which is the Spanish word for pepper. The chile used to have superior flavor and somewhat less heat compared to jalapenos. It's the pepper used in ristras & rellenos. It's used to make chile powder and enchillada sauce - at least in NM.

In the past 20-25 years scientists have screwed around with both chiles and jalapenos, and changed the game. As far as I can tell, their goal was to remove the esters that create the heat without much consideration for taste in both cases. That's why jalapenos typically aren't that hot, and the NM chiles exported to TEXAS aren't that delicious. The canned chiles taste like card board soaked in water.

If you get the opportunity to try the older NM chile varieties, they are excellent compared to jalapenos.

BTW: I recently bought McIlhenny Red Tobasco Pepper jelly. It has good heat, and the flavor is decent. It will blend into that cream cheese or you can dolop it onto brie.

bon apetit
wd
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

I just made another batch of Jelly but decided to heat it up a little. Everything was the same as the original recipe, except I used 3/4 lb. of Bell peppers and a 1/2 lb. of Jalapeños. Great flavor, with just a little more heat.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Thanks for posting the recipe amigo. My dad made jalapeno jelly and I loved it. I didn't get the recipe from him before he died. I tried with a medium to contact him from the other world but all attempts have failed thus far.