New take on Jalepanos poppers

moondog

New take on Jalepanos poppers

Post by moondog »

Everyone knows jalepanos poppers to mainly be made with dove, but we have broken the mold. I have a feeling many other people have been doing this for a while, but replace your dove breast with a shrimp.
So take your shrimp, scoop it in cream cheese, stick a jalapeño on the shrimp where the cream cheese is (should stick), then wrap in bacon, and finish it off with a tooth pick to hold it all together.
Cook them until the bacon looks done
Then you have some great appetizers

Enjoy
-Moondog
90droptop

Re: New take on Jalepanos poppers

Post by 90droptop »

Never thought of doing them with dove breast but that does sound appetizing
I've done them with shrimp and cheese for years
moondog

Post by moondog »

You cant beat dove poppers any day :mrgreen:
H2O Seeker

Post by H2O Seeker »

You may have some at the party who shy away from the Jalapeño. If so, substitute a quartered green pepper and do the same with you favorite meat/seafood. A sliver of sweet or purple onion is tasty too.
90droptop

Post by 90droptop »

H2O Seeker wrote:You may have some at the party who shy away from the Jalapeño. If so, substitute a quartered green pepper and do the same with you favorite meat/seafood. A sliver of sweet or purple onion is tasty too.
I like this idea may have to cook me up a batch like this for the bowl on Sunday
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

You can put anything in them and they will taste good :)

One thing I have learned to do over time is to precook ingredients in the microwave. If using meat that is easily overcooked like game or seafood, zap the bacon, onion, and jap to get it going a bit. Not too much on the bacon or you can't work with it.

Chicken thigh is about the only thing that I wrap everything raw. Can't overcook that stuff.

Another tip is to get yourself a grilling basket and put them all in it. When the bacon flares the fire, you can rescue all your wraps at once until it dies a bit. I used to pour a bit of beer on the fire to knock it down, but now I get to drink the beer :mrgreen: Also makes flipping a breeze.
dandturtle830

Post by dandturtle830 »

i also like to do armadillo eggs its when you use a ground meat. i like jimmy deans spicy pork breakfest sausage. and mold it around your jalpeno stuffed w cream chese/or queso..
broncofan_27

Post by broncofan_27 »

substitute backstrap for dove, just cut a strip the length of the pepper, also if you use pineapple cream cheese in your poppers, itll make for the best poppers ever, a little sweet and a little heat. mmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm
dandturtle830

Post by dandturtle830 »

also try butterflying a shrimp with a slither of serono and string cheese with some garlic butter .. and a beer
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I make a crab meat/cream cheese stuffing. Cut the japs in half scrape out the seeds then put a spoon full of stuffing on and wrap in bacon. Grill indirectly till the bacon crisps up.
Concho Red

Post by Concho Red »

All of these ideas work well on shis kabob skewers - easy to flip a bunch at once
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

moondog wrote:Everyone knows jalepanos poppers to mainly be made with dove, but we have broken the mold. I have a feeling many other people have been doing this for a while, but replace your dove breast with a shrimp.
So take your shrimp, scoop it in cream cheese, stick a jalapeño on the shrimp where the cream cheese is (should stick), then wrap in bacon, and finish it off with a tooth pick to hold it all together.
Cook them until the bacon looks done
Then you have some great appetizers

Enjoy
-Moondog
AKA "shrimp diablo". Awesome meal.
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

Ahh the ol jalapeno ploppers, err.. poppers..

I'll have to try the shrimp, sounds good!
Audiojohn

Post by Audiojohn »

I will have to try the shrimp fillet approach. My regular go is cheddar little smokies, plus about two hours on the smoker.
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

Cheese only take away from the heat I love making shrimp Diablo (what I call them)

Shrimp wrapped in bacon with half a jalapeno,

I grill up a couple with serano and or habanero peppers just to suprise my friends whether they like it or not

:dance: :dance: :dance: