Smoked Pork Loin

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Smoked Pork Loin

Post by Yaklash »

I made this with one of those pork loin roasts in the vacuum sealed bags at Kroger. I get 2 or 3 of them when they're on sale and freeze them. This is an on-line recipe that I modified (cut the brown sugar in half)

Pork rub
Ingredients 

- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 rounded teaspoon onion powder
- 1 rounded teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground hot Thai red chili pepper

Mix all ingredients and rub a little more than half of it onto roast, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight - 8 to 10 hours. About 30 minutes before you put it on the smoker, unwrap it and apply the rest of the rub.

For a 5-pound loin roast, the cooking process should take 4 to 5 hours. For the 3.5 lb roast I smoked, it took almost 4 hours to get the internal temp where I wanted it. I used charcoal for the heat and apple wood for the smoke, temperature ranging from 200-225 F. That's going to vary some, depending on the thickness of the roast, the temperature of your grill, and the outdoor temperature. To be safe, stick a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast...it should be at 160 degrees (don't let it get too much hotter...it will dry out). Start checking for doneness after about 3 hours.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Smoked Pork Loin

Post by texan4ut »

Sounds good, I buy em on sale too. I take one and slice it length wise down the middle but not all the way through and fold it open, then slice each 1/2 down the middle but not all the way through. I then line the cavities with jalepenos and sprinkle the inside with cajun seasoning, I then fold it back together and tie it with butchers twine. Put your favorite rub on the outside and smoke it with indirect heat. I use apple, pecan and hickory. Sure is good.
Bfree

Post by Bfree »

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try this one.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I'll have to try that...sounds great THANKS
Off The Hook
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Off The Hook »

is this pork tenderloin????
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Off The Hook wrote:is this pork tenderloin????
No, the Pork Loin. You could do pork tenderloin this way, but it would not take nearly as long to smoke. The loin is usually 3-1/2" - 4" in diameter.
Off The Hook
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Off The Hook »

well i will still do the rub just cook the tenderloins the way I always do. Always looking for good recipes. i would throw mustard and olive oil into this whole mix and possibly even a dark beer. Thanks