Fish cakes

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Fish cakes

Post by Yaklash »

I usually use leftover fish for this but you can cook the fish as part of this recipe. This recipe is for two small cakes and nothing was really measured - I just added stuff till the texture was right.

Olive oil
Cajun seasoning
1 small trout fillet
2 mushrooms, finely chopped
2 green onions, white & light green parts, chopped
1 small jalapeño, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 egg
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
Salt & pepper to taste

Coat the fillet w olive oil and sprinkle w seasoning, then cook in a hot skillet, to a medium brown and then set aside. Sauté the onions, mushrooms & pepper in butter over med/low heat for a couple of minutes, lower heat and then add garlic. Sauté for another minute then remove from heat. Beat the egg, add the sautéd stuff, the bread crumbs ans S&P to taste and mix well.Break the fish and gently fold into the stuffing. Add another tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Scoop out with an ice cram scooper into a medium/high skillet and cook for about three minutes per side, or until browned and done all the way thru. Serve with a dollop of remoulade for an appetizer or, as I did this morning, on a toasted English muffin with some leftover (sweet) Cole slaw.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Fish cakes

Post by Yaklash »

You can sub in lump crab meat for the fish
badjuju

Post by badjuju »

Excellent recipe. I make fish cakes at least once a week, usually salmon. In lieu of regular bread crumbs I substitute dry rolled oats. Keeps my cholesterol down and my witch doctor off my back. And right you are, they are great for breakfast on an English muffin. Myself, I'd take those cakes, break 'em up, and slap them and that slaw on a corn tortilla hot off the comal.

We need to get some 'picher's up in these food threads!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Here are shots of the fish cakes w a remoulade sauce - one cooking and one prior to rapid consumption. I used jalapenos from the garden that were ripened to red.
Attachments
FC-1.JPG
FC-2.JPG
generalnotes

Post by generalnotes »

Man, I just finished lunch, and those things are making me hungry all over again! :lol: Thanks for posting this recipe! I will be trying it soon.
badjuju

Post by badjuju »

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! I'd eat that like I was mad at it!
redfisher_SFA

Post by redfisher_SFA »

I may have to try these with some white bass