Advise on propane or electric smokers.

Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Advise on propane or electric smokers.

Post by Carver »

I am interested in this small one, but would like some opinions on propane or electric smokers of any description.
http://www.mysecretpantry.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTPS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't feed large groups and as small as this is, it would be a lot simpler than tending my large smoker all day. It is the only pellet (this one actually uses chips ) type I have seen that I might be able to afford also.

I have never used anything but a traditional wood fired smoker and have a very nice one. I love the output, with that being said, without a second large freezer in my life now, I have to cook only what can be consumed in a few sittings.

Any input on them or suggestions for something else would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Phill
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Advise on propane or electric smokers.

Post by Alsatian »

A lot of the gas grills made have a tray to add wood chips so that you can smoke with good success. You'll spend about the same amount of money. Just an idea. BTW if anyone wants mesquite chips for smoking let me know, I have a ton of it.
RedRaider04

Post by RedRaider04 »

I've always had a much deeper smoke ring on brisket with a gas smoker versus electric. Gas is a little more difficult to control the smoke and I tend to go through a lot more wood chips. If you want a set it and forget it smoker, electric is by far easier.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have actually had decent luck smoking in an oven before. Not my first choice, but it can work.

I'll be in an RV for a good while this year and would like to take the cooking outside.

Phil
Country

Post by Country »

I bought a new propane one from lowes two years ago after a storm destroyed my old wood burning brinkman. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I have used It many times and have come to really like it. My favorite part is no tending the fire just add chips and water every so often.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

I found the best solution possible. After asking around, a good friend is buying one and I can play with it and probably let him show off his cooking ability for free. Free food and product confirmation before I spend any money. Can't beat that.

Thanks, Phill