Beef Stroganoff

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Beef Stroganoff

Post by Yaklash »

Beef Stroganoff - I hadn't eaten this in years and my Mom's version was more about speed and volume (big family) than authenticity or the adult pallette, so I found a recipe and made it last night. Damn that stuff is good - Just had leftovers for lunch. I recommend a dry white wine. I had a sweeter wine already in the fridge from last weekend and I think this recipe really should use dry white wine. 

Ingredients:
2 pounds beef chuck roast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ounces butter
4-6 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef broth
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup dry white wine
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Add the onions and cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, then push to the side with the beef strips.
Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the pan, best done with a wire wisk. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. 40 minutes in to the cooking time, heat water to boil the egg noodles, but don't put the egg noodles in until after the next step.

Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and white wine. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste and then let simmer until the noodles are done, stirring every minute or so.

Serve over egg noodles or rice
fryemup
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Beef Stroganoff

Post by fryemup »

Yep, Now I am drooling.. My wife does a great job with this, and she knows when she wants something-- she makes this for me.

And No Lima/Butter Beans. !

I also like it because she usually makes large enough btach I get leftovers fro lunch the next day-- I am twice as happy.

She has done it with venison before and it was not bad at all.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

fryemup wrote:Yep, Now I am drooling.. My wife does a great job with this, and she knows when she wants something-- she makes this for me.

And No Lima/Butter Beans. !
:lol: You know you can make that BBQ bean recipe without the Lima beans, just sub in another can of pintos

fryemup wrote:I also like it because she usually makes large enough btach I get leftovers fro lunch the next day-- I am twice as happy.

She has done it with venison before and it was not bad at all.
I made this recipe with a 3 lb roast so it was at X1.5, but there were three other adults eating last night so there were only 3 servings left. Lunch and dinner today and it will sadly be gone.
Midcoast Mark
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Midcoast Mark »

Also works with ducks & geese.
Yum.