need a kingfish recipe

locktyght

need a kingfish recipe

Post by locktyght »

Went on my first offshore trip yesterday and caught 2 big kings, need a good recipe or 2, I've never cooked any saltwater fish.
badjuju

Re: need a kingfish recipe

Post by badjuju »

Season and grill it just like you would a good steak.
FishinTheBarge

Post by FishinTheBarge »

1 bottle V-8, and 1 bottle italian dressing. Covers alot of fish and bake or grill in aluminum pan. Helps get rid of the "kingfishy" taste.
eweberdc
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by eweberdc »

I prefer to soak it in ice water after cleaning overnight, then fry it.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Prof Salt just posted and easy way to clean and cook Kingfish. Forgot what forum, might be saltwater or BTB
locktyght

Post by locktyght »

I finally got around to making cooking some of my catch, for the first run, i just went with a 45minute soak in milk, then a 45 minute marinade in italian dressing, then straight to the grill.

Turned out really well, when looking all over the internet for a recipe, i found that a lot of people say that this fish tastes nasty no matter what the preparation, whereas i think it turned out great.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

locktyght wrote:......when looking all over the internet for a recipe, i found that a lot of people say that this fish tastes nasty no matter what the preparation, whereas i think it turned out great.
I never minded the taste so much as the texture, but it ranks way down the list of my faves. Believe me, when I did a lot of offshore fishing, we fished for numerous other species before we'd break out the ribbon fish to nab a few Kings because we needed some meat to justify the fuel cost.
red511

Post by red511 »

Cut the fillet into nugget size pieces. Sprinkle your favorite seasonig on them, my favorite is Tony cachere's creole seasoning. Wrap with jalapeño and pepper bacon. Must use peppered bacon. Throw it on a grill and cook until done.

Tip: Stick toothpicks threw everything so it stays all together on the grill but before soak them in water to keep from catching on fire on the grill.
:clap:
Hope you enjoy.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Wow, no plank joke yet? TKF, you never fail to impress me.

Fresh is better with kings.

I like to grill as well.

The recipe for heavenly broiled mackerel works well with kingfish

The thicker parts of the fillets are great on the smoker pit.

The technique of "balling out" the steaks is very wasteful. I know they don't eat as well as other fish, but you are still wasting a lot of good meat.
DX2

Post by DX2 »

I cooked some monday it turned out great! I used fine corn meal mixed with regular cracker meal then cut fillets thick chunks placed in gallon ziplock bag with italian dressing.canjun seasoning and pre heated oil then had bowl of milk .nuggets of fish to bowl of milk to meal bowl to hot oil untill it floats then take out ! Simple and easy with a awesome mild taste...iam not picky on fish I eat because its all the same taste to me lol
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yaklash wrote:
locktyght wrote:......when looking all over the internet for a recipe, i found that a lot of people say that this fish tastes nasty no matter what the preparation, whereas i think it turned out great.
I never minded the taste so much as the texture, but it ranks way down the list of my faves. Believe me, when I did a lot of offshore fishing, we fished for numerous other species before we'd break out the ribbon fish to nab a few Kings because we needed some meat to justify the fuel cost.
x2

I am not very sensitive about such things but my family is. Got to where they would not eat kingfish at all. If the methods above (which I like) are not successful for you, here's what you do. Simmer the kingfish for 20 minutes in a half bottle of white wine with a few herbs of your choice thrown in. After cooling it down, flake it and use as a substitute for canned tuna in tuna salad or tuna sandwiches. Beats the heck out of tuna every time, and my family loved it.
SFAjacks

Post by SFAjacks »

as long as you cut the bloodline out they are very good. I like mine grilled fresh with with onions, jalapenos, etc and then rolled up in cooked flour tortillas.
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Ball them out and soak in ice water. Mix up some mustard and louisiana hot sauce to an orange color and marinate about 30 minutes. When the grease is hot enough , pull out roll in cornmeal and fry'em.