Barracho Beans

Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Barracho Beans

Post by Pogo »

Nothing like a big ol' pot of beans and fresh baked cornbread to keep a Texas boy happy. But what about when you're in the mood for barracho beans like the better Mexican restaurants offer? Well, I stumbled into a pretty good homemade rendition, and it's easy, too!

First, get a pot of beans going, and because we're in Texas, we're talking pinto beans. Mine are generally based on stock made from boiling down chicken backbones or ham bones. Then cut an onion, and add it along with salt & pepper, oregano, chili powder, cumin and garlic. That's the standard issue pot of beans around here....

This time I had half a jar of store-bought picante sauce in the fridge that I didn't care for much, mostly because it was too dang chunky to work well with chips. So I got a bright idea and dumped it into the beans. Presto - a reasonable facsimile of barracho beans!

Barrcho means drunk in Spanish, and the recipe ostensibly calls for a bottle of beer cooked in. But I'd rather pour the beer straight into me and skip the middleman. Your mileage may vary. 8)